From the Collection of Ballarat Clarendon College 1425 Sturt Street Ballarat Victoria
- Gold plated ring with gold 6-point star within ring; ornate engraving on ring back and front; star inscribed both back and front; long gold link chain attached to top of medal.
- 30mm diameter
- james-rintoule, ballarat-college, 1891, medal, hurdle-race
- James Albert Rintoule entered Ballarat College 1888; son of Robert Rintoule of Nhill and previously educated at Nhill State School to the 5th Form. James was a significant sportsman winning medals for high jump 9n 1890 and 1891 as well as hurdles. He continued his sports after leaving the school, winning the 1893 Albion Football Club Best Place Player. James' great nephew and niece James (1962) and Helen (1967) also attended the school.
- Such ornate medals reveal the significant place of sports in the school culture at the end of the 19th century.
- Star face: 1st / HURDLE RACE / WON BY / J RINTOULE / 1891
Star verso: BALLARAT / crest / COLLEGE
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:12AM