Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc., Warrnambool
This is a stone jar in beige/brown colouring with a cylindrical base with a bulbous-shaped piece above the base and a dome-shaped top above that. A metal handle is attached to the neck and there is a composite material screw top. The maker’s information is printed on both sides of the jar.
This jar comes from the Sharpe Brothers Warrnambool factory. John Sharpe founded the soft drinks business in 1903 and it existed until 1972. At one stage the company had 35 factories in Australia and New Zealand. It specialized in the home deliveries of ginger beer and other brewed beverages in one gallon earthenware jars. The Warrnambool factory opened in 1919 at the site of the Rowley cordial factory at the corner of Banyan and Timor Streets. It continued until 1951. John H. Sharpe, the former manager of the Sydney factories, put his signature on the base of this jar when he visited the Warrnambool and District Historical Society headquarters at History House in the mid 1980s.
This jar is of considerable importance as it is a fine memento of the Sharpe Bros soft drinks factory that operated in Warrnambool in the 20th century for over 30 years.
Inscriptions & Markings
Keep this stopper tight
This jar is the absolute property of, and must be returned to, Sharpe Bros Australia & New Zealand
Original and largest hygiene brewers
Caution. Persons Damaging, Willfully Retaining, Trading with or Misappropriating the use of this jar WILL BE PROSECUTED
John H. Sharpe. Jar made prior to 1914