News Sheet - Warrnambool Examiner 1872
From the Collection of Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. 2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria
- These are original Warrnambool Examiner newspapers from 2nd January 1872 to 29th March 1872. They are bound together using glue with a plain cardboard cover which is blotched and stained. The individual papers are broadsheets of two pages printed on the four sides. The edges of the pages are crumpled and torn. The advertisements and public notices have been marked by an editor in red and blue.
- W 45 cm H 61 cm. D cm.
- warrnambool examiner, richard osburne, william fairfax, henry laurie
- The Warrnambool Examiner was founded in 1851 by John Wilkson and Richard Osburne. After a gap of a couple of years Richard Osburne resumed publication in October 1853 and continued until 1867. William Fairfax and Henry Laurie then leased the paper (1867 to 1872) before Richard Osburne again became the proprietor from October 1872 to April 1878 and from December 1879 to December 1880 when publication ceased. Richard Osburne was a pioneer settler in Warrnambool, arriving in 1847. He was prominent in community activities in the town and was a most important early historian, publishing his seminal work, ‘The History of Warrnambool’ in 1887, using the Warrnambool Examiner newspapers to assist with this history. Fairfax and Laurie were the proprietors when the papers described herein were printed. William Fairfax was a member of the Fairfax family that was, and still is, associated with the publication of many Australian newspapers. Henry Laurie later became well-known as a Melbourne University Philosophy Professor.
- These original newspapers are most important because they contain much information on Warrnambool’s early history and are a primary source of information for historians. These papers are also important because some parts of the original papers were not filmed and are not currently available on microfilm. These papers were in a Warrnambool City Council storage area and it is surmised that they came from the old Warrnambool Museum which no longer exists.
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:12AM