This wedding photograph is an illustration of the intermarriage of notable Victorian (and Kew) families. The parents of the groom were the Hon. James Balfour MP., and his wife, Frances Charlotte (Henty) [the eldest daughter of James Henty] who married at Hawthorn in 1859. The Balfour lived at 'Windella' in Studley Park Road. Henry Rairey (Harry) Balfour was the youngest son of Mr & Mrs Balfour who married Katie Harrison of 'Horley' in Molesworth Street, Kew. Miss Harrison's father was the T.S. Harrison (merchant and importer, b. Banbury, Oxon, 1829, d. Melb 1901).
Portrait of the wedding party in the garden of Horley in Molesworth Street, following the marriage of Elizabeth Kate (Katie) Harrison to Henry Rairey (Harry) Balfour at the Kew Presbyterian Church in 1905. The outfits worn by the women were reported in Punch, on 9 February 1905].
The bride wore a frock of ivory white satin, with bertha of duchesse lace and a yoke of ruched chiffon. The bridesmaids … wore white muslin dresses, inserted with Valenciennes, made in early Victorian style. The white straw hats were trimmed with lace and blue hydrangea, and their flowers were blue hydrangea, delphiniums and cornflowers. … The bride’s mother [right] wore a well-cut dress of black silk. The bridegroom’s mother [left] wore a gown of black silk voile, and smart black bonnet grouped with roses.
L. to R. Christian Balfour, Jean Mackintosh, Mrs James Balfour (nee Henty), Bridegroom, Bride, Dr. Lewis Balfour, Genevieve Harrison, Hon. James Balfour, Henry Harvey, Marion Harrison (nee Borodin)
[Married by Mr Alec Scholes at Kew Presbyterian Church]
Inscriptions & markings
Individuals identified in ink on reverse plus donor name and date.