Bottle, Ethyl Chloride
From the Collection of Geoffrey Kaye Museum of Anaesthetic History ANZCA House 630 St Kilda Road Melbourne Victoria
- Glass bottle with paper label, metal fastening at the top and cream coloured plastic sealant at the neck. The bottle has clear side and base mould seams which indicate it was made using a cup bottom mould.
- 15.3cm x 4.8cm x 4.8cm
- ethyl chloride, medco, medicinal chemicals corporation pty. ltd, dr [e.s] holloway, bottle
- Ethyl chloride was first used as a general anaesthetic in 1847, by Johann Ferdinand Heyfelder (1798-1869), a German surgeon. Once ethyl chloride became readily available, it was again taken up as a general anaesthetic in the late 1890s (USA). Ethyl chloride evaporates very quickly so that when it is sprayed onto the skin it produces very cold temperatures. “Refrigeration anesthesia”, or cryoanesthesia, refers to the anesthesia produced when the skin is significantly cooled.Due to its rapid onset, ethyl chloride was often used to induce general anaesthesia. It would be followed by a second anaesthetic, such as ether or nitrous oxide, which would be used for the remainder of the procedure. (The Wood Library Museum, 2016)
The bottle has clear side and base mould seams which indicate it was made using a cup bottom mould.
- c. 1932
- Medicinal Chemicals Corporation Pty. Ltd. (Maker)
- Printed on main label at front: 100 c.c. 3 1/2 fl. ozs. / MEDICINAL CHEMICALS CORP [illegible] / MEDCO / ETHYL CHLORIDE / PURE / This Product conforms to all the re-/quirements of the BRITISH PHARMA-/COPCEIA, 1932, for / GENERAL ANAESTHESIA / Manufactured by / MEDICINAL CHEMICALS CORPORATION PTY. LIMITED / 39 Martin Place, Sydney
Printed on round label on reverse side: 6d. / Cred [illegible]this container if returned in good order and condition.
Stamped into underside of bottle: CM / S99
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:12AM