Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Tools - Spoke Shavers x 2

From the Collection of Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. 2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria

Description
These are two spoke shaves - small planes, slightly curved, with wooden handles and a metal blade in the middle. The blade is attached to the handles via metal ends which go through holes in the wood. The blade area is strengthened with metal plates attached by metal screws. The metal parts are well-rusted and the handles are somewhat worn.
Size
W 2 cm H 26 cm. D cm.
Object Registration
001186
Keywords
ernest phillips, history of warrnambool
Historical information
Spoke shaves were used by woodmakers to shape curved surfaces (originally wheel spokes). These two spoke shaves belonged to Ernest Phillips of Warrnambool who would have used them to shape the surfaces of chair and table legs etc. Ernest Brighton Phillips (1875-1924) was the son of Henry Phillips (a hay and corn dealer in Warrnambool) and his wife, Emma. He learned cabinet making at the Box Works in Warrnambool and in the late 19th century established a furniture-making and selling business at the corner of Liebig and Koroit Streets. By the early 20th century he had the largest furniture warehouse and factory in Victoria outside Melbourne and sold his products all over Australia. He and his family lived at ‘Heatherlie’ in Koroit Street and after his death this Phillips house was acquired by the Methodist Church and the Heatherlie Homes for retired people were built on this site.
When Made
Late 19th century/early 20th century
Significance
These tools are of considerable significance as they were used by Ernest Phillips, a prominent businessman in Warrnambool during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Inscriptions & Markings
‘E. Phillips’ etched into wood on each spoke shave.
Last updated
3 Mar 2017 at 10:12AM