Medal - 60th Anniversary of the end of WW11
From the Collection of Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. 2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria
- Gold metal round medal with Australian coat of Arms on one side and stylised image of outline of Australia on the obverse side. Mounted in black card box.
- 3.874 cm in diameter
- warrnambool, ernest swan, 60th anniversary medallion ww2
- This medal was issued to commemorate the end of World War 2 and was issued to eligible living veterans or their widows/widowers.It comes in a black card and fabric lined box. It has been issued by the Department of Veterans Affairs.This medal was awarded to Ernest Henry Swan. He served from December 1941 to July 1942 in the Citizen Military Forces and from July 1942 to September 1944 in the Australian Imperial Forces. His reason for discharge was reserved occupation. He held the rank of corporal in 26th Motor regiment. He was born in Colac 19/11/1919 to Ernest Swan and Daisy Johnson. He died 04/08/2009 and is buried at the Warrnambool cemetery. During his life he farmed a soldiers’ settlers block in the Grasmere area, north of Warrnambool.
- A common object with over 300000 minted but with a link to a local person and commemorating an event of world importance.
- World War 11 Service to Australia. World War 11 60years 1945-2005
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:12AM