From the Collection of Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village 89 Merri Street Warrnambool Victoria
- Silver alloy Bugle, with brass mouthpiece, a long tube of metal, narrow at the mouth end and gradually flaring to a wider at the bell shape at the other end. The tube is shaped into 3 bends. The front of the bell has an elaborate design of a ribbon banner attached above an oval floral wreath enclosing an inscription. The outer rim of the bell has an impressed ancient Greek geometric border.
- flagstaff hill, warrnambool, shipwrecked coast, flagstaff hill maritime museum, maritime museum, shipwreck coast, flagstaff hill maritime village, great ocean road, silver bugle 1861, bugle musical instrument, lieutenant benjamin helpman, doctor breton, captain bushe, bugler corrigan, drill instructor bernard, warrnambool volunteer rifle corps 1861, statistics of warrnambool volunteer rifle corps 1861, warrnambool volunteer rifle company, warrnambool rifle volunteers, warrnambool volunteer band, armed for the right, wall’s family hotel warrnambool, warrnambool garrison
- Bugles have been used for hundreds of years for communicating instructions, particularly in battles, and announcements such as calls to assemble and various other routines of the day, particularly for infantry and military units.
This pure silver bugle was presented to the Warrnambool Rifle Volunteers by Lady Helpman, on behalf of the Ladies of the District of Warrnambool, on June 18th, 1861. Lady Helpman's husband, Captain Benjamin Franklin Helpman, was Warrnambool Harbour master.
The gift of this silver bugle was presented to the commanding officer of the Warrnambool Volunteer Rifle Corps, Captain Bushe, who then passed it on to the Warrnambool Volunteer Band.
On 11th August 2016, during a ceremony at Flagstaff Hill, the Australian Army handed over guardianship of two very significant historical items the 1885 W. Clarke Trophy and the 1861 Warrnambool Ladies Silver Bugle to Warrnambool City Council, for display at Flagstaff Hill Maritime museum, both heritage listed items are strongly connected to the city of Warrnambool and form an integral part in the history of the Warrnambool Garrison.
- c. 1861
- The Silver Bugle is locally significant to the community of Warrnambool for its connection to the Warrnambool Volunteer Rifle Corps., which formed part of the original Warrnambool Garrison to protect the Warrnambool Harbour. The site of the 1888 Warrnambool Garrison and Fortifications is Victorian State Heritage-listed is significant for its intact and operational nature and is one of the best-preserved pieces of Victoria's early colonial heritage.
- On ribbon banner “Armed for the Right”.
Within the wreath “TO THE / WARRNAMBOOL / VOLUNTEER RIFLE COMPANY / this tribute of due appreciation / is presented by / THE LADIES / of the District / Warrnambool 18th June / 1861”
- 27 Jul 2020 at 12:52PM