The town borrows its name from the Koroitch Gundidj people who occupied the area prior to European settlement. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koroit, accessed 21 December 2016) Koroit was first surveyed as a township in 1847. Around the 1850 the district had the highest population of Irish immigrants in rural Australia. The Koroit Post Office was designed by architect and engineer John Mason of Port Fairy. (Moyne Shire Heritage Study 2006 Stage 2, Volume 2: Environmental History, Prepared for Moyne Shire Council Helen Doyle in association with Context Pty Ltd, 2006.) Rosebrook Bridge, Rosebrook (1853; replaced) Post Office buildings, Bank Street, Port Fairy (c.1857) The author Henry Handel Richardson lived in the Koroit Post Office as a child after her family moved to Koroit in 1878. Remembering Koroit from her youth, the third volume in her The Fortunes of Richard Mahony trilogy is set in the town. When the author was six, her father Walter died in Koroit on 1 August 1879 and was buried at the Koroit cemetery. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koroit, accessed 21 December 2016) In 1878 Mary Richardson was appointed postmistress of the Koroit Post Office at a salary of 72 pounds with free quarters, firewood and kerosene. She lived at the back of the Post Office. (From a Green and Pleasant Land by H. McCorkell and P. Yule.)
Photographs showing the bluestone Koroit Post Office, phone box and postbox. It is located at 99 Commercial Road, Koroit. "Historic Area Statement of Significance: The significance of Koroit derives from its role as the urban centre of one of the most concentrated Irish Roman Catholic rural districts in Australia, noted for its mixed livestock and cropping argicultural patterns. This is reflected in two separate and distinctive areas in the town - the administrative/commercial area and the church precinct. The administrative and commercial area (focussing on the Boundary-Commercial Road/High Street intersection and the Koroit Hotel) consists of a number of significant public buildings and leads to a street of relatively intact humble shopfronts and kerbline verandahs, visually punctuated by opposing bank facades. The church precinct is dominated by a group of Catholic buildings larger in scale and more complete in range than those in any comparably sized Victorian town." http://vhd.heritagecouncil.vic.gov.au/places/69338#sthash.ELLuSMvg.dpuf, accessed 21 December 2016."