Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Ballarat Heritage Services Bakery Hill Post Office, Victoria

Established in 1998, Ballarat Heritage Services provides award winning publishing and cultural heritage services. We take pride in making a broad range of heritage related items and photographs accessible to researchers, school children, family historians and academics. By documentation and through interpretation, researching, writing, creating books, and unique indexing projects, Ballarat Heritage Services has contributed significantly to a wide field of research, especially on "hidden" aspects of history such as asylums, women's refuges, migration (especially early non-English speakers in Victoria) and industrial heritage. Our large picture collection includes many images of people and places, especially from Victoria and its goldfields.

Links

Contact Information

location
PO Box 2209 Bakery Hill Post Office Victoria 3354

Contact

Opening Hours

N/A

Entry Fee

N/A

Location

PO Box 2209 Bakery Hill Post Office Victoria

Our Collection comprises a range of images and databases collected during research or publication, as well as a number of contemporary images taken by associates Clare K. Gervasoni, Dr Dorothy G. Wickham, Wayne Phillipson and Lisa J. Gervasoni. We are also grateful for donations and contributions.

The Collection includes Victoria's Pre-Olympic Swimming Pools by Lisa Gervasoni, and a Swiss/Italian collection, particularly including the Gervasoni family of Yandoit Creek, Victoria. Photographs taken during research for major projects undertaken by Dr Dorothy Wickham include those of the former Ballarat Female Refuge, Scott's Parade, Ballarat, research into the freemasons of the Central Highlands of Victoria, and Stonemason's Marks. Strengths of this collection are its Eureka and early goldfields focus, industrial heritage, and its focus on little known aspects of Victoria's history and heritage.

Significance

The Ballarat Heritage Services Picture Collection consists of thousands of images collected to use for interpretation and illustration. Some images date back over 100 years, but many are contemporary views of Victorian towns and places photographed while travelling to conduct research. The collection shows change over time, and the more recent images will be of greater importance in future years.

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

4188 items

Photograph - Colour - Cutty Sark vessel and exhibition (executed in English and Chinese), Greenwich, England, 2016

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Historical information

The Cutty Sark was launched on 22 November 1869. She was named by the wife of George Moodie, the ship's first master who had also supervised her construction. Cutty Sark left the Clyde on 13 January 1870. A month and two days later, she set sail from London for China. Cutty sark was designed and built by Scott & Linton of Dumbarton for 16,150 pounds. But much of the money was to be paid by Willis when the ship was launched. Just before they finished her, Scott & Linton ran out of money and went bankrupt. She was completed by William Denny & Brothers. The Cutty Sark was the first ship to reach London with a tea cargo in 1877. But she was one of only nine sailing ships that returned that year - in 1870 there had been 59. Steamships were now dominating the tea trade. In 1883 the Cutty Sark joined the booming trade in transporting Australian wool. Every year until 1895 she set out in the summer for Australia, to load a cargo of wool bales and return to England in time for the wool sales ini the first three months of the new year. Cutty Sark soon established herself as the fastest of the wool clippers. Under her last master, Richard Woodget she set record times of 70 days or less for the voyage which no other sailing ships could match.

Image - Ballarat Post Office and Township from Government Enclosure

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Coloured engraving by Samuel Thomas Gill showing the Ballaarat Post Office in the Government Camp.

Photograph - Colour - Cutty Sark vessel and exhibition (executed in English and Chinese), Greenwich, England, 2016

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Historical information

The Cutty Sark was launched on 22 November 1869. She was named by the wife of George Moodie, the ship's first master who had also supervised her construction. Cutty Sark left the Clyde on 13 January 1870. A month and two days later, she set sail from London for China. Cutty sark was designed and built by Scott & Linton of Dumbarton for 16,150 pounds. But much of the money was to be paid by Willis when the ship was launched. Just before they finished her, Scott & Linton ran out of money and went bankrupt. She was completed by William Denny & Brothers. The Cutty Sark was the first ship to reach London with a tea cargo in 1877. But she was one of only nine sailing ships that returned that year - in 1870 there had been 59. Steamships were now dominating the tea trade. In 1883 the Cutty Sark joined the booming trade in transporting Australian wool. Every year until 1895 she set out in the summer for Australia, to load a cargo of wool bales and return to England in time for the wool sales ini the first three months of the new year. Cutty Sark soon established herself as the fastest of the wool clippers. Under her last master, Richard Woodget she set record times of 70 days or less for the voyage which no other sailing ships could match.

Photograph - Colour - Grandstand, City Oval, Ballarat

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Colour photograph of the grandstand at Ballarat City Oval.

Photograph - Colour - Ballarat Memorial Wall, 2017

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Colour photograph of the Ballarat Arch of Victory with an Australian flag flying in the foreground.

Photograph - Colour - Ballarat Railway Station

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Digital photographs - Moyneyana New Years Day Duck Race, 2015

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Digital images of the Moyneyana New Years Day Duck Race.

Photograph - Colour - Wombat Botanical Gardens, Daylesford, 2019

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

A tree in the Wombat Gardens.

Photograph - Colour - Buckley's Cave, Point Lonsdale

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Colour photograph of William Buckley's Grave on the coastline at Port Lonsdale.

Photograph - Colour - Knowth and New Grange, Ireland, World Heritage Centre

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Historical information

The Megalithic Passage Tombs of Newgrange, Knowth, Dowth, Fourknocks, Loughcrew and Tara are located in the present day County Meath in Ireland's Ancient East. The Boyne Valley Mounds at Newgrange, Knowth and Dowth were built around 3200BC making them older than Stonehenge in England and the Pyramids of Giza in Egypt. Built by Neolithic farming communities about 5000 years ago, the passage tombs have clear astronomical alignments such as the Winter Solstice Sunrise at Newgrange and the Equinox Sunrise at Loughcrew. Judging from the splendour and magnificence of Newgrange and Knowth it is likely that these temples of the ancestors were places of astrological, spiritual, religious and ceremonial importance, much as present day cathedrals are places of worship where dignitaries may be laid to rest. There is a lively debate about whether these wonderful megalithic structures were built primarily as burial tombs, sacred temples or astronomical observatories. While passage tomb is the traditional description for Newgrange and similar structures, chambered cairn or passage mound are the descriptions favoured by those who consider the passage tomb description too narrow. The large stones surrounding and inside the Passage Tombs are decorated with Megalithic Art such as spirals, concentric circles, triangles, zigzags and images which have been interpreted as the sun, moon and the human face. Irish passage tombs tend to occur in clusters traditionally described as a Necropolis or cemetery. The Boyne cluster includes Newgrange, Knowth, Dowth and Townleyhall. The other great clusters in County Meath are on the hills around Loughcrew. The ancient Boyne Valley passage tomb mounds at Newgrange, Knowth and Dowth have been designated World Heritage Site status by UNESCO and attract 200,000 visitors per year. The sites and Visitor Centre are managed by the OPW (Office of Public Works). Newgrange is best known for the illumination of its passage and chamber by the winter solstice sun. The site is open to the public with controlled access to the passage and chamber. Tours of Newgrange start at the Brú na Bóinne Visitor Centre located near the village of Donore, Co. Meath. Knowth has two passages and is surrounded by seventeen satellite cairns. The site is open to the public; however there is no public access to the interior passages and chambers. Tours of Knowth also start at the Brú na Bóinne Visitor Centre. Dowth is the only one of the three large Brú na Bóinne Passage Tombs which is not accessible from the Visitor Centre situated on the south bank of the river. Visitors to Dowth must drive directly to the site on the north bank, a couple of miles from the Slane / Drogheda road. Fourknocks with its short passage leading into a wide pear shaped chamber is in similar style to Tombs in Portugal. Just inside the main chamber to the left of the entrance is one of the few representations of a human face from the Neolithic Period in ancient Ireland. Entrance to Fourknocks Megalithic Passage Tomb. Megalithic Art - Loughcrew, Co. Meath Loughcrew Cairns form the largest complex of Megalithic structures in Ireland. The Cairns contain symbolic engravings similar in style to Newgrange. Like other Passage Tombs in ancient Ireland, they have clear astrological alignments.Tara was the seat of the High Kings of Ireland in the first millennium A.D. however Tara is also the site of a Passage Tomb known as the Mound of the Hostages that was built about 2,500 B.C.

Image - City Hall Fruit Palace, 1915

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Copy of a photograph showing the entrance to G. Giuliano's City Hall Fruit Palace in Sturt Street Ballarat.

Photograph - Colour - Robert Clark Statue, 2016

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Statue of Robert Clarke in the Ballarat Botanical Gardens.

Digital Photograph - Milestone, Ashbourne, UK

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Historical information

Ashbourne is one of Derbyshire's fines and most vibrant market towns. It combines a wealth of historic buildings and shops. The Market Place is cobbles with hidden alleys and yards that lead to the carparks behind the main street. The wide and elegant Church Street is considered to be the finest street of Georgian buildings in Derbyshire. Tissington Hall and Village are in the nearby vicinity. Built by Francis Fitzherbert in 1609 Tissington Hall has been lived in by the Fitzherbert family ever since. The estate village has a number of micro businesses and a beautiful duck pond. Reference: Information from the Ashbourne Tourist pamphlet

Photograph - Colour - Carlisle Cathedral and Abbey, 27 October 2016

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Colour photograph of Carlisle Cathedral and Abbey.

Digital Photograph - Stonework, Heydon Church, United Kingdom

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Colour photograph at Heydon Church, United Kingdom

Historical information

This church is located in the historic town of Heydon, a village still in private family possession.

Digital Photograph - Information Display panels, Heydon Church, United Kingdom

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Colour photograph at Heydon Church, United Kingdom

Historical information

This church is located in the historic town of Heydon, a village still in private family possession.

Digital photographs - Koroit Irish Festival music

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Digital images of the Irish Festival in Koroit.

Photograph - Colour - Mason's Marks, Carlisle Cathedral 27 October 2016

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Digital photograph

Historical information

Carlisle Cathedral The Priory near the cathedral was founded in 1122 by King Henry I. There were earlier buildings on the site. Ten years later the priory church became the Cathedral and the Kind created the diocese of Carlisle. The building is constructed of red sandstone. Celebrated architect Ivo de Raughton who lived a few miles south of Carlisle designed the intricate masonry. Many interesting features are recorded about Carlisle Cathedral in tourist brochures and its homepage, however they do not mention the many mason’s marks clearly visible on the stone columns inside the Cathedral. There have been hundreds of marks recorded, some being similar to those on the Yarrowee Channel in Ballarat.

Inscriptions & Markings

A square with a shape like a "W" at the bottom

Photograph - Black and White - The Old Stone House, Yandoit Creek

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Gervasoni's 'old stone house' at Yandoit Creek, Victoria. The house was built by a partnership between Carlo Gervasoni, Luigi Gervasoni, Antonio Invernizzi and Battista Nani.

Report - City of Ballarat Collection Management Policy by Ballarat Heritage Services, 2008

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Twenty six page report on the City of Ballarat Town Hall Collection, by Ballarat Heritage Services.

Photograph - Colour - Centre Sanctuary Stone, Torphichen, Scotland

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Colour photograph of the centre Sanctuary Stone at Torphichen, Scotland.

Print - One of a set of prints, Ship in Full Sail Passing Sydney Heads

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

digital photographs - urinals St Brigid's

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Digital photograph - B from Withers

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Black and white image of the letter B as used in Wither's History of Ballarat.

Photograph - Colour - Sign, Alwington, Devon, England

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Photograph - Colour - Knowth and New Grange, Ireland, World Heritage Centre

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Historical information

The Megalithic Passage Tombs of Newgrange, Knowth, Dowth, Fourknocks, Loughcrew and Tara are located in the present day County Meath in Ireland's Ancient East. The Boyne Valley Mounds at Newgrange, Knowth and Dowth were built around 3200BC making them older than Stonehenge in England and the Pyramids of Giza in Egypt. Built by Neolithic farming communities about 5000 years ago, the passage tombs have clear astronomical alignments such as the Winter Solstice Sunrise at Newgrange and the Equinox Sunrise at Loughcrew. Judging from the splendour and magnificence of Newgrange and Knowth it is likely that these temples of the ancestors were places of astrological, spiritual, religious and ceremonial importance, much as present day cathedrals are places of worship where dignitaries may be laid to rest. There is a lively debate about whether these wonderful megalithic structures were built primarily as burial tombs, sacred temples or astronomical observatories. While passage tomb is the traditional description for Newgrange and similar structures, chambered cairn or passage mound are the descriptions favoured by those who consider the passage tomb description too narrow. The large stones surrounding and inside the Passage Tombs are decorated with Megalithic Art such as spirals, concentric circles, triangles, zigzags and images which have been interpreted as the sun, moon and the human face. Irish passage tombs tend to occur in clusters traditionally described as a Necropolis or cemetery. The Boyne cluster includes Newgrange, Knowth, Dowth and Townleyhall. The other great clusters in County Meath are on the hills around Loughcrew. The ancient Boyne Valley passage tomb mounds at Newgrange, Knowth and Dowth have been designated World Heritage Site status by UNESCO and attract 200,000 visitors per year. The sites and Visitor Centre are managed by the OPW (Office of Public Works). Newgrange is best known for the illumination of its passage and chamber by the winter solstice sun. The site is open to the public with controlled access to the passage and chamber. Tours of Newgrange start at the Brú na Bóinne Visitor Centre located near the village of Donore, Co. Meath. Knowth has two passages and is surrounded by seventeen satellite cairns. The site is open to the public; however there is no public access to the interior passages and chambers. Tours of Knowth also start at the Brú na Bóinne Visitor Centre. Dowth is the only one of the three large Brú na Bóinne Passage Tombs which is not accessible from the Visitor Centre situated on the south bank of the river. Visitors to Dowth must drive directly to the site on the north bank, a couple of miles from the Slane / Drogheda road. Fourknocks with its short passage leading into a wide pear shaped chamber is in similar style to Tombs in Portugal. Just inside the main chamber to the left of the entrance is one of the few representations of a human face from the Neolithic Period in ancient Ireland. Entrance to Fourknocks Megalithic Passage Tomb. Megalithic Art - Loughcrew, Co. Meath Loughcrew Cairns form the largest complex of Megalithic structures in Ireland. The Cairns contain symbolic engravings similar in style to Newgrange. Like other Passage Tombs in ancient Ireland, they have clear astrological alignments.Tara was the seat of the High Kings of Ireland in the first millennium A.D. however Tara is also the site of a Passage Tomb known as the Mound of the Hostages that was built about 2,500 B.C.

Photograph - Colour - Headstone of Herbert and Emily Hulm in the Tower Hill Cemetery, 2019

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Colour photograph of the headstone of Emily and Bert Hulm in the Tower Hill Cemetery.

Historical information

Herbert (Bert) Hulm was gassed during World War One. He served with the 46 Battalion. His niece remembered he was always laboured in his breathing.

Inscriptions & Markings

5110 Corporal H. Hulm 46 Battalion 4th December 1967 age 76 Beloved husband of Emily, Loved father of Chriss, Pauline and Bill Also his beloved wife Emily I. Hulm Died 12th Jan. 1970 aged 82 years R.I.P.

Photograph - Black and White - Patrick Edmund Carroll's First Car, c1946

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Three children of Patrick Edmund Carroll and Mary Matilda Fitzgerald sit on the 'Morris Cowley' car. This was Pat Carroll's first car. He farmed at 'Hillside', Crossley, Victoria. The children on the car are (Left to right), Rosemary Carroll, Ronald Carroll, Kathleen Carroll (later Gervasoni).

Photograph - Colour - Christmas Lights in Sturt Street, Ballarat, 2016

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Digital photographs - Middle and Merri Islands Warrnambool

Ballarat Heritage Services, Bakery Hill Post Office

Digital images showing Middle Island and Merri Island, Warrnambool.