Historical information

This booklet was produced for Thomas Randall, the proprietor of the Ozone Hotel, Warrnambool. The booklet has the front cover missing and the title of the booklet is actually ‘A Visit to Warrnambool’. It is a publicity booklet given out gratis to prospective clients of the hotel. The Ozone Hotel was originally called the Grand Ozone Coffee Palace and opened in 1890 as a temperance hotel, a splendid building with over 100 rooms. In December 1891 the Coffee Palace was granted a Colonial Wine Licence and in 1895 it was renamed the Ozone Hotel. Thomas Randall was the hotel keeper from 1894 to 1907. In 1920 the Ozone Hotel, after being closed for some time, was re-opened as the Hotel Mansions and a full liquor licence was obtained in 1923. In 1929 the building was burnt down and the present-day Hotel Warrnambool was built on the site.


This booklet is of great significance as it documents the splendour of the Warrnambool Ozone Hotel when it was at its best. This building is regarded as the finest and most elegant building ever built in Warrnambool and this booklet contains the only photographs we have of the interior of a 19th century/early 20th century hotel in Warrnambool.

Physical description

This is a soft cover booklet publicizing the Ozone Hotel, Warrnambool, published for the proprietor Thomas Randall early in the 20th century. The front cover and several pages at the back are missing. The booklet contains advertisements, both local and Melbourne ones, black and white photographs of Warrnambool and district and of the interior and exterior of the Ozone Hotel, an article on the town of Warrnambool and extracts from the hotel’s Visitors’ Book. Most of the pages contain black and white ornamental motifs. One of the pages at the front of the booklet is torn in half. The booklet is bound with staples.

Inscriptions & markings

On first page: Warrnambool & District Historical Society Stamp (smudged)