From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- A Gould League of Bird Lovers of Victoria membership certificate for Patricia Dawn Legge 1959. It has colourful illustrations of native Australian birds on a pale yellow background. The illustrations are by A.T. Mockridge, an early 20th century Melbourne commercial artist and portraitist. In a banner at the top is a photo of John Gould with GOULD LEAGUE of BIRD LOVERS around it. It has a list of patrons, presidents and the Central Council. There is also the Bird Lover's Pledge unsigned in the middle.
- W-231mm L-312mm
- certificate gould-league
- Named to honour the work of John and Elizabeth Gould, 'The Gould League of Bird Lovers' was formed in 1909. It was originally set up to prevent bird egg collecting and to educate for the protection of Australian birds. Gould League members were recruited via schools and received membership certificates and badges. Members were encouraged to enter competitions in bird mimicry, write stories and poems and attend 'bird-day concerts'. This certificate belonged to Patricia Legge.
Ruth Scott, daughter of Herbert Scott and Bertha (nee Coverdale), married David Legge. Patricia Dawn Legge and Kevin David Legge are Ruth and David's children.
- mid 20th century
- Stockland Press Pty Ltd (printer)
- The Gould League has made a significant impact on generations of Australians and their environmental attitudes. Being a Gould league member as a child in primary school gave children the opportunity to belong to a group that was learning about and protecting native bushland and its wildlife. Although not operating some Australian states the Gould League continues in Victoria.
- In pen - Patricia Dawn Legge 1959
- 25 Apr 2018 at 4:06PM