Historical information

The base of the round tower dates back to the 11th century around the time of the Norman Conquest. It collapsed in 1822. In the 15th century the benches in the south aisle were constructed, originally without backs. The screen now painted brown was painted in colours during the Middle Ages. There is practically no stained glass in this church except for a small Flemish 15th century panel in the east window and a tiny head in the window in the south aisle of the nave. Evidence of the destructive work of the Reformers can be seen on the font where chisel marks can be seen, and the removal of a rood beam or loft. This was reached by a staircase, the remains of which can be seen near the pulpit. The pulpit is part of a 17th century three-decker. The hour glass used to time sermons is still in place near the pulpit. There are a few personal memorials in the church. Ingworth has for centuries been a village run b the people living in it. Many of them now lie in the churchyard, while at least one member of the Harmer family from Baconsthorpe and Ingworth emigrated to Australia, settling in Victoria. Information extracted from booklet researched and written by Valerie Belton.