From the Collection of Netball Victoria 487 King Street West Melbourne Victoria
- Team photo of the Victorian Women's Night Basketball team of 1940. The side won the interstate carnival which was held in Melbourne.
- 30cm x 25cm
- womens basketball, women's basketball,netball, victoria, netball victoria, 1940, 1940s, wwii, world war 2, victorian team, womens netball, women's netball, sport, vic, netball australia, furlonger, cerrity, hewitt, nixon, melotte, percy, wilson, illman, cosgriff, edith hull, night basketball, interstate
- This 1940 Victorian State team win the interstate night carnival. This would be the last carnival until the 1947 carnival in Hobart due to WWII, which Victoria also won. The coach was Edith Hull (not listed on photo). The 1940 interstate carnival was held in Melbourne.
- The coach was Edith Hull, who throughout the 1930s was heavily involved in women's basketball in Victoria. As mentioned before this was the last interstate carnival for 7 years due to World War 2, however Queensland invited states and touring teams for a carnival in 1941, this was declined as it seemed to be ill advised as they focused their attentions to raising funds through war appeals.
- Victorian Night Interstate Team 1940
(Left to Right): E. Furlonger (capt), P. Cerrity (vice capt.), I. Hewitt, E. Nixon, V. Melotte, D. Percy, R. Wilson, N. Ilman, A. Cosgriff
- 17 Jun 2019 at 9:41PM