The building to which this tablet was attached was erected in 1890 as the Grand Ozone Coffee Palace. It was at the corner of Koroit and Kepler Streets in Warrnambool and was the most splendid edifice ever erected in Warrnambool. Initially it was a Temperance Hotel but in 1891 it gained a colonial wine licence. Thomas Randall was the lessee and proprietor of the building from 1894 to 1907 and from 1895 on it was called the Ozone Hotel. Mrs Lillias Euphemia Thom was the proprietor from 1907 to 1910. The tablet described herein has her name incised on the tablet ‘L.E.Thom’. The hotel was closed in 1915 and re-opened in 1920 with the new name of Hotel Mansions. The proprietor at that time was Howard Lawson. In 1923 Hotel Mansions gained a full hotel licence but in 1929 the building was destroyed by fire. The present day Hotel Warrnambool now occupies the site of the Hotel Mansions.
This tablet is of great significance as it is an important memento of the Grand Ozone Coffee Palace/Ozone Hotel/Hotel Mansions. This building was the most elegant building ever to be erected in Warrnambool and, as such, a reminder of the type of luxury accommodation offered to visitors to Warrnambool in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. This was a time when Warrnambool was promoted as a spa resort with hot and cold sea baths and bracing sea breezes. The marble tablet is an indication of the splendor of the hotel’s furnishings and accoutrements.
This is a rectangular marble slab with incised gold lettering (now somewhat faded). The bottom lettering is contained in a slight groove in the marble. There are four holes at each corner and six smaller holes along the edges of the tablet for attachment by screws to a building. The slab has some staining and a little rust.
Inscriptions & markings
‘Ozone Hotel’ ‘L.E.Thom’