Also known as the King George V memorial building this branch of the Mission to Seamen opened in 1937 as a replacement for the old Mission in Port Melbourne. The Foundation stone was laid by the Victorian State Governor and a photograph of the event is also held in the MTSV collection. The Art Deco style building was commissioned by merchant and philanthropist, Alfred Michael Nicholas (1881-1937) and designed by prolific Melbourne-based architect Harry A. Norris (1888-1966) in 1937 best known for his commercial work in Melbourne city centre. NB PMHPS Kindly allowed MTSV heritage to take scans of the Kelly series notes in their collection for reference in 2019.
One of the few full colour images of this building originally classified by the National Trust and now demolished. An example of architect Harry Norris' work 1937. All that remains are a ceramic plaque, a brick and several items of chapel artefacts.
Alison Kelly, a photographer, was part of the group supporting the Port Melbourne Seamen's Mission in the 1980s and 1990s. She took a series of photographs of the building now held by the Port Melbourne Historical and Preservation Society.
Full colour Postcard featuring colour image of a large red brick building in a 1930s era Architecture. There is a green wrought iron gate ajar in the foreground with the word SEAMAN spelled out. MISSIONS TO SEAMEN can also be seen spelled ut in white across and down the central clock tower of the building and this is surmounted with a white flagpole.
Inscriptions & markings
On verso: Printed: "Heritage Series / POST CARD " at right angles in small print from lwr edge to upper: "PHOTOGRAPHY BY ALISON KELLY PORT HERITAGE SERIES NO 6". At Lwr left crnr printed:" Missions to Seamen Building, Port Melbourne/ Designed in the Modern style by architect Harry Norris,/ this 1937 National Trust classified structure was until 1972 / an entertainment and spiritual centre for seamen, with / important roles during the war [WW2] and immigration periods"