Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Mission to Seafarers Victoria Docklands, Victoria

Links

Contact Information

location
717 Flinders Street Docklands Victoria 3008 (map)
phone
+61 03 96297083

Contact

Opening Hours

10am-10pm

Entry Fee

Free

Location

717 Flinders Street Docklands Victoria

View on Google Maps

The collection focus is on the Mission to Seafarers Victoria organisational history and the communities surrounding it - seafarers, the Anglican chaplaincy and philanthropic groups, such as the Ladies Habour Lights Guild. The collection spans from the late 1800s to the present day. It comprises documents, books, photographs and objects.

Significance

The Mission to Seafarers' heritage collection and building is of at least state significance (architectural). The buildings and several collection items are listed on the Victorian Heritage Register (H1496) and the National Trust Register (B4588) due to their representativeness of the Arts and Crafts and Spanish Mission styles. The collection holds historical significance because of its importance to Australia's cultural history through its representation of national maritime welfare and migration themes. The collection holds social/spiritual significance as a place of strong or special association with national and international seafaring community, and with the national and international Anglican Church movement and prominent philanthropic groups and individuals.

Margaret 12 October 2016 5:42 PM

I am researching a Mariner who arrived allegedly on the "Essex" - date unknown but it would have been before 1872 when he married at the Fitzroy Registry Office. His name was Alexander Bothwell from Aberdeen Scotland. Would there be any records going back that far? Do you research for queries ? If so, how much ? Thanks.

Leave a comment

1382 items

1382 items

Photograph - Temporary chapel of the Siddeley Street Institute

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Small monochrome photograph of interior of chapel at Siddeley Street Institute.

Historical information

Temporary chapel at the Central Institute, Siddeley Street. The Institute designed by Walter Butler was inaugurated in November 1907 by Governor Northcote. Amongst the furniture are the lectern donated by Lady Northcote, the altar still in use in the St Peter chapel. The proposed chapel was finished in 1909 and dedicated on the 26 January.

Significance

The pictures shows the enduring use of the religious furniture which is still in the St Peter the Mariner chapel in the Flinders Street mission.

Photograph - Group photograph of seamen and Ladies Harbour Light Guild

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Small monochrome photograph (faded) of a group of seamen and LHLG members

Quinn Letter - Letter

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Single page, double sided letter (0302.A1) written on beige paper and envelope (0302.B).

Historical information

A letter written from Charles Quinn to his mother in 1945 containing details about how homesick Allan Quinn is and how much he longs to see his mother in Brisbane.

Significance

This letter is of historical, social and interpretive significance as it provides information about the life of a seaman during the mid 20th century.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscription on top right hand corner of letter: "M.I. Goonawarra/Brisbane Q 8-12-45" Inscription on envelope: "Mrs. S. Quinn/San Lorenzo/63 Ocean Beach/Manly N.S.W." The airmail symbol is evident on the top right hand corner of the envelope and there are three stamps in the same corner,

Photograph - Dora Walker with Reverend Weller (and seafarers on R and R)

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Historical information

Dora Walker (married 1928 taking the name Simpson) had a long association with the Mission as a member of the Ladies Harbour light guild. This image is similar to another image in the collection which depicts the garden of the Walker family where many fund-raising events and hosting of seafarers took place. Rev Weller dates the image to around mid to late 1920s. In the 1960s and 70s Dora was president of the LHLG which later merged with the Flying Angels. She was awarded the MBE for her services to the community in the 1970s. Dora's son David Simpson is a volunteer still iat MTS n the 21stC.

Significance

The Walker and Simpson families are examples of long association and commitment supporting the Mission to Seafarers. As they are researched it is clear the stories of these families document not only support for the Mission but are also shown to have been significant contributors, leaders and donors to the broader Melbourne and Victorian community from the 19th Century and up to the present day.

Poster and Letter - Sea Sunday 2018

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Postcard - The Tyser Liner Indrabarah stranded 10 May 1913 (New Zealand)

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

This card (postcard) with print of Liner Indrabarah

Historical information

The steamer Indrabarah was stranded for 45+ days on the west coast of the north island of New Zealand, before being successfully towed free during a high spring tide. The cargo (mostly frozen meat) was reported to have survived the ordeal.

Quinn Letter - Letter

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

A three and a quarter page letter written on two sheets of unlined, buff coloured paper (0869.a1-4) headed Monday 7th May. The matching airmail envelope (0869.b) is edged with alternating red and blue stripes. It is addressed to Allan Quinn Esp., C/- General Delivery, G.P.O. Oslo, Norway. 'Oslo' is written twice, the first one being crossed out. The postage is one and sixpence, the postmark Elsternwick, date 11 May 1951. On the back of the envelope is an Oslo post-mark dated '18.5.51'.

Historical information

This letter begins "My Dear Allen,'' and ends with "...love Vera". It contains news of various family members.

Significance

Quinn Collection

Photograph - Tennis party at the mission

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Sepia photograph showing a group of 6 men and 3 women in white tennis apparel in the 1920s. The tennis court was built in 1927 behind the mission of Flinders Street.

Pulpit

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Timber pulpit built in the form of a ship's stern. This includes a timber step ladder for access,a timber keel and rudder, a rope fixed from the pulpit to a post mounted to the floor, and a dedication plaque on the side of the pulpit. The pulpit sits on timber legs.

Historical information

In 1909, assistant Chaplain Rev. Haire presented the Mission with an 'uncommonly artistic pulpit' in memory of his mother. This pulpit was initially used in the first Mission in Central Melbourne, Siddeley St. It is now is sited in The Chapel of Saint Peter, of the Mission to Seafarers 717 Flinders St. complex (State Heritage listed (H1496). This complex was designed by Walter Richmond Butler in 1916, and officially opened on 11 September 1917, a day '...of unusually kind weather', by the Governor of Victoria, the Honourable Sir Arthur Stanley.

Significance

This pulpit is significant as it is housed in The Memorial Chapel of Saint Peter forming part of the State Heritage listed Mission to Seafarers Victoria complex. It was built in Melbourne of Australian timbers, and is one of only two known maritime inspired pulpits, both associated with Missions to Seamen of the early 20th C. the other is held in the ANMM Collection see link. Their statement of significance is worth quoting in part as it applies equally to this pulpit "...an extremely rare and unique example of such pulpits. It is highly significant as a wonderfully preserved example of a time when religion was preached to sailors for their spiritual guidance and temperance..."

Inscriptions & Markings

On an attached plaque see 0678 To the greater glory of God and in ever loving memory of Jane King Haire. This pulpit is erected by her son. Blessed are the pure in heart. For they shall see God. St. Matt. V.8. 26.1.09

Quinn Letter - Letter

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

A four-page single-sided letter written on buff-coloured lined paper (0398a.1-4) dated 19.12.48. Matching envelope (0398b) is post-marked Melbourne and bears a purple-coloured 1 shilling and 6 pence stamp.

Significance

Quinn Collection

Inscriptions & Markings

.

Clothing accessories - Pair of knitted mittens

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Pair of woollen hand knitted mittens

Historical information

see also knitting patterns elsewhere this Database

Music Score - The 'M.N.' Ships Get Through

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Commercially printed single fold music score for a 2 verse song and chorus. Front cover with blue band at top and lower edge features the Merchant Navy insignia at top left with depiction in half tone blue of a Merchant ship convoy and at right a sketched depiction of head and shoulders of a Merchant Navy officer with binoculars in hand. Music score and full text printed on p.2 and 3. The back cover features text of chorus and a handwritten notation in blue ink with reference to performance of the song on a BBC programme, 'Shipmates Ashore'.

Historical information

A song composition by Helen Ellis, of Kew, first known to have been performed in 1942 at the BBC for the 'Shipmates Ashore Programme it was then published 1943.

Significance

A copy of this song and one other composition the composer Helen Ellis is held by the National Library of Australia. Promotional text also indicates that the song was performed by the notable Australian singer Peter Dawson. The song "The M.N. ships get through" carries an important acknowledgement of the oft forgotten vital role of the Merchant Navy as carrier of goods and supplies, and especially so in wartime. The publication is of special significance to the MTSV as an example of the many skilled and creative women who have supported the Missions to seafarers.

Inscriptions & Markings

Back cover-handwritten notation in blue ink: "Sung by Raymond ?(indecioherable) in the B.B.C. London / 'Shipmates Ashore' programme,1942." This inscription is found after the printed sample of chorus words accredited to Helen Ellis, Central Club, Victoria, Mission to Seamen. See images for design and printing.

Photograph - Railway Pier HMAS Australia and Brisbane

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Small landscape b & w photograph depicting view along a pier with railway lines and three ships ( 2 appear to be naval vessels) moored on the right hand side of the frame. A horse and cart can be seen on the pier in the middle distance.

Historical information

The HMAS Australia and Brisbane are documented as visiting Port Melbourne circa WW1 and WW2.

Significance

HMAS Australia has been a significant link and factor in the history of the Mission. Padre Frank Oliver Chaplain from 1930-60 served on the ship in WW2. Cadets and officers also regularly visited the Mission. The pier also played a significant role in the development and life of Melbourne.

Inscriptions & Markings

handwritten inscription on the page below the photograph.

Engraving - In the Anxious hours of waiting

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Wood framed and glazed engraved print of Jesus Christ with sailor in the foreground and printed inscription on mount below

Historical information

Gifted to the Mission for display in the new Chapel opened 1917 in the Central Mission at 717 Flinders st Extension.Documented in the ' Quarterly Jottings from our log" LHLG Newsletter no 47 midwinter 1917.

Significance

The print was gifted by the Misses Godfrey influential and long term members and supporters of the Ladies Harbour Light Guild. At the time of the completion of the St Peter's, the Mariners' Chapel in September 1917, it was dedicated to the memory of all merchant seamen serving in the long war.The print subject, of the sailor guarded by Jesus was no doubt intended to inspire faith and hope but also acknowledges and reflects the anxious days of waiting not only of the sailors and seafarers negotiating the dangerous waters and oceans but also the challenge for families, experiencing the widespread anxieties of a world at war.

Inscriptions & Markings

Signature of artist lwer left of print.: G M Langley Printed on mount at lwr right: "In the Anxious hours of waiting"

Photograph - SS Huntingdon

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

small b&w landscape photograph featuring a steamship moored at a railway pier, rail siding in foreground and shedding between rails and vessel. The smoke stack is faintly steaming.

Historical information

Possibly Station pier Port Melbourne

Inscriptions & Markings

Handwritten in black ink on album page beneath image: SS Huntingdon

Photograph - Display of items inside the Hastings Seafarer Centre

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Photograph - Volunteers at the Hastings Seafarer Centre

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Photograph - Torpedo Tubes and ? Lights Anzac and Success

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Photograph - HMAS Brisbane

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Booklet, The Ladies' Harbour Lights Guild - The Ladies' Harbour Lights Guild in connection with the Victoria Missions to Seamen

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

A small booklet of 4 pages in blue ink. First pages includes names and details of the patron, president, secretary, etc of the Victoria Missions to Seamen as well as its Branches and Secretaries. Then the booklet continues to describes what the Harbour Lights guild and its connection with the Mission.

Historical information

Charity organisation, Ladies' Harbour Lights Guild, was formed within The Missions to Seamen Institute to provide a home away from home, for visiting seamen. The booklet informs the role and connection of the Ladies' Harbour light Guild with the Mission.

Significance

This paper flyer holds historical significance at a local level because it illustrates the Ladies' Harbour Lights Guild involvement in the Mission to Seafarers. The Ladies' Harbour Lights Guild grew to become a significant charity in Melbourne raising large amounts of money which helped to establish the current MTS building, supporting seafarers.

Photograph - Group of seamen with Flying Angel flag

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Small monochrome photograph (faded) depicting small gathering of seamen

Photograph - Allan Quinn Collection - "City of Bristol" Sunbathing on No. 5 Hatch

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Black and white photograph of ten men sunbathing on the No. 5 Hatch on the ship "City of Bristol" on 22/5/1950. Two additional men sit in the background next to the railing.

Historical information

This series of photographs captures life at sea and the conditions on the ship M/S "Mongabarra" Goteborg in 1950.

Significance

This photograph is part of the Allan Quinn collection, which is a pictorial autobiography, and it represents one of many moments of his time abroad as a seafarer.

Register - Funeral Register

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

dark card end boards with red bindings at spine and corners of front cover.

Photograph - Studio portrait of seated man with hat and walking stick

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Studio portrait of a man sitting, with moustache, wearing a 3 piece suit with buttonhole spray, walking cane ad bowler hat.

Historical information

This portrait could be of Captain Daniel McCallum. In the Williamstown Chronicle dating back Saturday 16 March 1895 we could read: " An interesting ceremony will be performed at the Sailor's Rest next Thursday 21st. inst., when a large photo of the late Captain D. McCallum (which has been presented to the Rest) will be unveiled, in the presence, it is expected, of several of those who assisted Captain McCallum in his good, work amongst the sailors, and others who were closely connected with the Mr Ronald Reid a will supply the musical part of the pogramme." Captain McCallum was secretary of the Williamstown Sailors' Rest, located in Ann Street, and had himself saved the rest paying some of its debt. He died in 1887.

Inscriptions & Markings

Signature in red ink in the bottom right corner: "CHUCK-artist"

Photograph - Allan Quinn Collection - M/S "Mongabarra" Goteborg, Nilsson and Peter Stone

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Black and white photograph of Nilsson and Peter Stone on the M/S "Mongabarra" Goteborg from the U.S. to Australia in December 1950. The two men are undertaking ships duties pulling ropes on the deck of the ship.

Historical information

This series of photographs captures life at sea and the conditions on the ship M/S "Mongabarra" Goteborg in 1950.

Significance

This photograph is part of the Allan Quinn collection, which is a pictorial autobiography, and it represents one of many moments of his time abroad as a seafarer.

Inscriptions & Markings

On the back of the photograph is the text "Nilsson & Peter 4/12/49" in blue pen and what looks like "K 9 B" in pencil upside-down.

Menu - The Australian National Line 31 October 1966

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Cream coloured paper menu for tea /typed on company template. SS63 is printed top LH corner above the blue arc "The Australian National Line". The angled company flag,in red and blue, is centred below. The blue menu design is printed with the typed name of the ship "Binburra" below. The menu of the day 31 October 1966 is also typed.

Historical information

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_National_Line this website indicates that the SS Binurra was sold to Malaya three years after the date of this menu

Inscriptions & Markings

A small pencil edit appears on the lower RH side of the typed menu

Digital photograph - Foundation stones Mission to Seamen 1907 and 1908

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Photograph depicting the two foundation stones of the former Seamen's Institute located on Siddeley Street.

Historical information

The bottom stone was the foundation stone for the main building laid Tuesday 5 February 1907, and the middle stone was the foundation stone for the chapel, laid Tuesday 1 December 1908. The two stones were inserted on the wall of the current Mission building probably when the Siddeley Street institute was demolished. The stones are located in the courtyard on the wall of the former chaplain's office. next to the chapel.

Photograph - Rev W.F Haire, Rev A Gurney Goldsmith; Mr C A Holmes, Mr H K Vickery, Rev A.T. Pitt

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Sepia photograph in a wood frame with group of five men in suits; ink inscription of five names on paper label adhered lwr front of frame

Historical information

This photograph depicts five of the Mission's Committee members: top (left to right) are standing Harold Kingston Vickery and Arthur T. Pitt, both Lay Readers. Seated (left to right) are Reverend William Forster Haire, Assistant Chaplain, Reverend Alfred Gurney Goldsmith, Chaplain, and Mr Charles A. Holmes, Honorary Lay Reader. The photograph was probably taken inside the Central Institute, Siddeley Street, between 1909 and 1911.

Significance

An original frame with an image of a group of Mission office-bearers including Rev Gurney-Goldsmith who was Senior Chaplain over the significant early 20th Century period of Mission establishment in the Central Docklands area.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front on paper label: Revd W.F Haire, Revd A. G.Goldsmith; Mr C A Holmes (paper cut) / Mr H. K Vickery, Revd A.T. Pitt; Verso at lwr right crnr in pencil: PH- R14

Newspaper Clipping - A New Career For The Padre

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Painting - MS Nella Dan 1961

Mission to Seafarers Victoria, Docklands

Framed , oil on board painting depicting a red hulled , single funnel ship cutting through sea ice

Historical information

A depiction of the MS Nella Dan an active primary vessel built in 1961 by the Aarlborg Shipyard PTY Ltd, and regularly chartered by the Australian National Antarctic Research Expeditions (ANARE) in the 20th C. The ship ran aground in December 1987 and unable to be salvaged, had to be scuttled in deep water off Macquarie Island. See link above, this record. The ship was named after Nel Law wife of the Director of the Antarctic Division, DR Phil Law.

Significance

The MTSV has over the years had close links with shipping companies providing specialist exploratory vessels. This image depicts one such Merchant ship, manned by expert merchant seafarers and crucial to the exploration by Australian scientists of the substantial Australian Antarctic territories throughout the 20th C.

Inscriptions & Markings

Artist signature at lwr right corner PAINTED.: IB OLDFELDT 95