This family Photo taken outside the home known as "Willow Farm".
Sepia photo on beige mount.
Inscriptions & markings
We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the place now called Victoria, and all First Peoples living and working on this land. We celebrate the history and contemporary creativity of the world’s oldest living culture and pay respect to Elders — past, present and future.
Please be aware that this website may contain culturally sensitive material — images, voices and information provided by now deceased persons. Content also may include images and film of places that may cause sorrow.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain culturally sensitive material — images, voices and information provided by now deceased persons. Content also may include images and film of places that may cause sorrow.
Some material may contain terms that reflect authors’ views, or those of the period in which the item was written or recorded but may not be considered appropriate today. These views are not necessarily the views of Victorian Collections.
Users of this site should be aware that in many areas of Australia, reproduction of the names and photographs of deceased people is restricted during a period of mourning. The length of this time varies and is determined by the community.
Reuse of any Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander material on this site may require cultural clearances. Users are advised to contact the source organisation to discuss appropriate reuse.
Can you reuse this media without permission? No (with exceptions, see below)
All rights reserved
This media item is licensed under "All rights reserved". You cannot share (i.e. copy, distribute, transmit) or rework (i.e. alter, transform, build upon) this item, or use it for commercial purposes without the permission of the copyright owner. However, an exception can be made if your intended use meets the "fair dealing" criteria. Uses that meet this criteria include research or study; criticism or review; parody or satire; reporting news; enabling a person with a disability to access material; or professional advice by a lawyer, patent attorney, or trademark attorney.
Please acknowledge the item’s source, creator and title (where known)
Have a question? Contact Learmonth and District Historical Society Inc.
This family Photo taken outside the home known as "Willow Farm".
Sepia photo on beige mount.
The bible was used at St David's Presbyterian church (later to become the Uniting Church) Waubra. When the church was closed in the early 2000's. It was donated to the Learmonth and District Historical Society Inc by Ken Fraser who had attended the church.
It is an object that represents of over 150 years of the Presbyterian Church in Waubra, Victoria.
A black covered Vinyl bible. It has the words "HOLY BIBLE," in gold writing on the spine.
It has the words "HOLY BIBLE," in gold writing on the spine.
House was originally located near Medwells Chaff Mill.About 100 years ago it was relocated to its current location in Learmonth. The Lady is Mrs O'Neil holding baby Hazel.The family had a market garden on the south side of the house.
Sepia photo of home with mother and baby outside door.
These photos were taken and put together to commemorate the opening of the new Hall of the Windermere Bran ch no 53 of the ANA Association. 24th September 1908.(from the top, row 1) C.Allen, A.Cox, F.White, T.Stewart, R.W.Charles, R.McKenzie, A.Cox. (row 2) W.Nesbitt, R.Walton, (row 3) D.F.Dickie T.Robinson, J.Robertson, D.Nippard, R.Kerr, W.J.Cox. (row 4) J.S.Feery, H.J.Taylor (Committee), G.White (ex President), S.Coles,(President), W.Harding (Vice President), E.Burrows. (row 5) A.Walker, P.Beaton,(Asisstant Secretary), F.Cox,(Secretary), D.Walton,(Treasurer), R.Harding, (Committee member), W.Walton (Committee member). (row 6) J.Hevey, F.Cox, (Trustee),J.M.Feery, (Committee member), D.Davidson, (Committee member). (row 7 ),M.Baird (Mathew), H.Cox, F.Powell, W.McKartney, W.Wilkins, R.Charles, H.Birkett.
Collection of photos set in a dark wooden frame, with "gilt" decoration on inner edge and gold coloured inner frame edge. the photos are on a dark brown cardboard mount.
AUSTRALIAN NATIVES ASSOCIATION. Presented by the Members of the WINDERMERE BRANCH No 53.TO COMMEMORATE THE OPENING OF THE NEW HALL.Sept 24th 1908. (under photo ANA Hall)
windermere ana hall 1908.windermere branch no 53.
Waubra Football Team were Premiers in 1925 and this photo was taken to celebrate this. In the photo are (back) unknown, unknown, Les(Sandy) Yates, Eric.Yates, Tom Bourke, Bob Simpkin, Nick Purcil, unknown, unknown.(middle row) Ian Coutts, Walter Harrison, unknown,unknown, unknown,unknown,unknown,Bill Smith, unknown, Don Fisher. (front row) Harold Bowe, Alf.Harrison, Norm McDonald, Joe Wilson, William (Sharpy) Harrison, Stan Yates (Captain) Alex McDonald, Peter Fraser, Jack Cantwell Cecil Harrison, Angus Fisher.
Sepia Photo of the Waubra Football Club 1925 on a dark brown mount
Premiers 1925 LDA. (Learmonth District Association)
sporting events.waubra football premiers.1925
Photo taken to celebrate Waubra Football Club becoming the 1922 Premiers,
Sepia colour photo on a dark brown cardboard mount of Waubra Footballers.
WAUBRA PREMIERS 1922.
waubra victoria.football club premiers 1922.sporting events
This Photo was presented to A.K.ewar Esq.by the Members of the Waubra Cricket Club in 1908 and the members were,(top row)P.Harrison,J.Gray,D.Harney,W.Simpsom,W.Coutts,(2nd row) E.Heffernan,E.Gollop,(3rd row) J.Hayes,J.Harrison (Sec),A.K.Dewar esq, H.Barber, M.Hayes,(4th row) Wat Harrison, W.J.Harrison,(Vice Capt),C.Harrisson, (Vice Pres), E.Harney. (5th row ) W.Barber, (Umpire), T.Trewin, W.Gollop, E.Gollop,(Umpire) (6th row),Alf Harrison, Alec Trewin. It was given to show their appreciation for his services to the club.
Sepia coloured photo on dark brown mount of members of the Waubra Cricket Club.1908.
Presented to A.K.DEWAR Esq. by the Members of the WAUBRA CRICKET CLUB.As a Token of esteem for Past Services to the Club. April 1908.
waubra cricket club1908.a d dewar esq.sporting clubs
This photo taken circa 1865,and was known as the Mount Rowan Common School No 757, and was the first school in the area.The Headmaster at the time was possibly Mr.Benjamin Kerr.
Black and white Photo of School Children outside 1st Mount Rowan school no 757.
1st Mount Rowan School.
mount rowan common school.school no 575.benjamin kerr headmaster.
Very little is known about this particular Butter Churn. It may have been used by a local dairy farmer.
an example of early butter churns (wooden) used around the late 1800's by dairy farmers.
A large round wheel made of wood with an iron rim and a wooden paddle turned by a handle.It is on a square wooden stand.
Cherry and Sons.Gisborne Victoria
1800'sbutter churn.food preparation
Mangles were used to speed up the process of drying clothes by removing excess water.Unfortunately the history of this particular mangle is not known nor where it was used .
An example of early laundry equipment.
This Mangle constists of two wooden rollers on a flat ledge,supported by an iron frame.On the side is a large wheel with handle,to turn the rollers,.at the top is a wheel to tighten the roller pressure.
G.H.Nicoll & Co. Dundee.
ironmongers.laundry equipment.mecanical device
This is an early example of a mechanical device for the washing of clothes.It worked on a rocking motion making the chore of washday easier for the housewife.
This is an early example of a mechanical device for washing of clothes.
This Washing Machine is made of wood and the main barrel part is a rectangular shaped box with slopping sides.On the top is the lid and a handle.It is set on a stand which allowes it to be used with a rocking motion.
F.WOLTER & ECHBERG"S PATENT WASHING MACHINE .NO 2955. 6 RUSSELL STREET MELBOURNE.ROYAL LETTERS PATENT GRANTED 1876.
washing machine 1876.household appliance
Photo recording the Council for the year 1987 to 1988. Back row- Mr J.W.M.Johnson (Shire Secretary), Cr.W.M.Flynn, Mr T.J.Barrington (Deputy Shire Secretary), Cr. M.J.Vallance, Mr.P.G.Winter (Deputy Shire Engineer), Cr.G.H.Spittle, Cr G.C.Walton, J.P., Cr. R.A.McDonald, Mr. R.H.Hollioak (Shire Engineer). Front Row- Cr.K.C.Edmonston, Cr. B.L.Hughes, Cr.D.A.Baird,J.P. Cr.G.S.Giot,J.P.(Shire President) Cr.C.A.Crick,J.P. Cr. I.M.Nelson J.P. Cr.R.Kinnersley J.P.
This gives a pictorial record of councillors in office for the year 1987 to1988.
Coloured Photo set on beige cardboard mount.
Council of the Shire of Ballarat.1987/88
ballarat shire council 1987-88.
Rectangular wooden mount with a "bronze" medallion at the top and a brass plate at the base which is inscribed.
"SUN NEWS PICTORIAL" TEN THIRTY FOUR ROAD SAFETY AWARD FOR JULY 1975. SHIRE OF BALLARAT.
sun news pictorial. shire of ballarat road safety award.
This Plaque was Presented to the Shire of Ballarat by the Mayor of Mount Gambier,Cr F.N.McDonnell.
Mount is wooden on which is a Brass plaque showing the Crest of the City of Mount Gambier with inscriptions at the base.
CITY OF MOUNT GAMBIER. PRESENTED TO SHIRE OF BALLARAT BY F,N,McDONNELL.MAYOR.
mayor f.n.mcdonnell city of mount gambier.presentation to shire of ballarat.
This plaque was presented to the Shire of Ballarat to recognise their support for The Queens Relay Message during the 1982 Commonwealth Games in Brisbane.
Rectangular wooden mount with Brass plaque and a symbol of three bars in the formation of triangle.
XII COMMONWEALTH GAMES. BRISBANE 1982.PRESENTED IN RECOGNITION OF SUPPORT FOR THE QUEENS RELAY MESSAGE.
1982 commonwealth games.queens relay message.shire of ballarat.
This Plaque was presented to the Shire of Ballarat for THE MOST OUTSTANDING entry in the annual Begonia Festival Grand Parade,which is held each year during week end of February/March to celebrate the beautifull Begonias and promote Ballarat.
In recognition of Shire of Ballarat's outstanding entry in the 1991 Begonia Festivals Grand Parade
A Rectangular frame of light brown wood with a black metal plague engraved in silver.
THE COURIER - EDGAR BARTROP AWARD FOR MOST OUTSTANDING ENTRY IN THE 1991 BEGONIA FESTIVAL GRAND PARADE. Awarded To SHIRE OF BALLARAT. PRESENTED IN HONOUR OF EDGAR BARTROP OBE. FOUNDATION CHAIRMAN OF THE BALLARAT BEGONIA FESTIVAL ASSOCIATION.
ballarat begonia festival.1991begonia festival grand parade.shire of ballarat
Spoon made as souvenier of the Shire of Ballarat, for gifts or purchase.
Gold Plated spoon with Ballarat Shire Crest on end of Handle.
Shire of Ballarat. MCCCLX111.
Photo depicts members of the Ballarat Shire Council in 1994 at the Commemorative Meeting Prior to Amalgamation with City Of Ballarat. Front row (L to R) Mr. I. R. Cowie. Deputy Shire Engineer ; Mr. R. W. Hayles, Shire Engineer; Cr. D. N. Vendy, Shire President; Mr. J.W.M. Johnson, Shire Secretary; Mr T.J. Barrington, Deputy Shire Secretary. Back Row (L to R ) Cr. R. Kinnersley, Cr. A. Cormick, Cr. D. A. Baird, Cr.G.H. Spittle, Cr. J.D.White, Cr. G.M.Caldwell, Cr. M.F.Beaumont. Cr. W. M. Flynn, Cr. R.A. McDonald, Cr. R.J. Fewster, and Cr. B.L.Hughes.
To commemorate the final council meeting of the Shire of Ballarat prior Council Amalgamation with the City of Ballarat.
Coloured Photo on cream coloured mount with Shire of Ballarat Crest and title above photo and names at the bottom.
SHIRE OF BALLARAT COMMEMORATIVE MEETING. MONDAY 2ND MAY 1994.
shire commemorative meeting 1994.last ballarat shire councilors.
Roughly circular of approximately 2.5 cm. The Badge shows the Clock Tower (which is situated in the grounds of the Former Ballarat Shire Offices in Wendouree), a sheath of wheat, a rams head, crossed spade and pick and a plough
SHIRE OF BALLARAT.
shire of ballarat jewellary.enamelware
These Cuff Links were possibly worn by members of the Shire Council,and may also have been given as gifts to visiting personell.
Enamelled round Cuff Links showing the Coat of Arms of the Shire of Ballarat, set in a gold base and gold Anchors.
THE SHIRE OF BALLARAT,MDCCCLX111, PREAVIUS.
These Medallions were mass produced to celebrate the 125th Anniversary of the Shire of Ballarat.
Celebration of the 125th Anniversary of the Shire of Ballarat, declared the first Shire in the State of Victoria 1863.
3cm Diameter x 1/8 cm D silver alloy medallion with the Shire of Ballarat Coat of Arms on the front and on the reverse the words 125th Anniversary and date.and in a dark blue "suede" drawstring bag.
Shire of Ballarat MDCCCLX111.(face).Shire of Ballarat 125th Anniversary Medallion, 24th November 1988.(reverse).
proclaimation of first shire.125th anniversary of ballarat shire
Letter from Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth 11, to acknowledge a letter sent by the Shire of Ballarat to Her Majesty on the occasion of the visit of Rear Admiral Sir Brian Murray and Lady Murray expressing a message of loyalty and to be forwarded to Her Majesty.
Acknowledgement of loyalty to the Crown
Rectangular dark wood frame with gold around inner edge. Letter from Buckingham Palace is set in a dark brown mount and at the base is an explanation as to why this letter was received.
(Letter) BUCKINGHAM PALACE 20th September, 1983. Dear President, I am commanded by the Queen to thank you, Councillors, Ratepayers and Citizens of the Shire of Ballarat for your kind and loyal message of greetings. Her Majesty received this message with much pleasure and was touched by the kind and loyal sentiments it contained. Yours Sincerely John ......... The President The Shire of Ballarat. (at the base) On Wednesday 24th August,1983,On the occasion of the official visit to the Shire of Ballarat,of His Excellency, Rear Admiral Sir Brian Murray,K.C.M.G.,O.A.,K.ST.J.,Governor of Victoria,and Lady Murray,C.ST.K.,a message of loyalty was presented for forwarding to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth 11.
rear admiral sir brian murray k.c.m.g.govenor of victoria 1983.message from queen elizabeth11.
This is a photo of the Quinlivan family from Ballarat, Mary Ann Quinlivan nee Sheahan (born Cghills Creek and died 1932) was the daughter of Patrick Sheahan and Ellen Maher. She married Thomas Quinlivan in 1896 and they had the following children, Eileen (Eily) Teresa, 1898, John Francis, 1904 - 1906, Mary (Mae) Kathleen 1907 and Agnes Josephine 1909. Thomas and Mary ann ran the Royal Exchange Hotel on the corner of Peel and Mair streets in Ballarat, Victoria. Thomas died at an early age leaving Mary Ann to run the hotel on her own.
Tell about some of the people who lived and ran the Royal Exchange Hotel in Ballarat and who the Quinlivan family were.
An oval shaped sepia photo made from photo paper
Quinlivan family. Joe's cousins. Aunty Maryabbe, Eily, May & Agnes. Hotel in Ballarat.
royal exchange hotel, ballarat, quinlivan, sheahan, maher
In 1963 the Shire of Ballarat celebrated its Centenary. This book outlines the history and development of the Shire over the 100 years.Councilor Charles Edward (Ted) Brown was at the time Shire President.The District Roads Board was created on 7th October 1856 and on 24th November 1863 was proclaimed a Shire,thus making it the first Shire in Victoria. The book was compiled by James Mitchell(Shire Secretary) and the staff of the Shire of Ballarat and printed by local printers Waller and Chester.
Celebrating 100 years of the Shire of Ballarat.
A rectangular shaped book (landscape shape).Pale pink background on which is the title in black and,in shades of deeper pink, a photograph of the new Shire Office building and Clock tower in Wendouree
PROGRESS IN THE SHIRE OF BALLARAT.
district roads board 1856.ballarat shire 1863
This book was published in 1988 by the Shire of Ballarat,and printed by the local firm of Waller and Chester.Local Historian Lloyd Jenkins researched and did the text and design for it. It was launched to celebrate the 125th anniversary of the Proclamation of the Shire,which was the first Shire in Victoria.
Acknowledgement of the first Shire to be Proclaimed in the State of Victoria
Rectangular book with soft cover.The cover has a blue background on which is the Crest of The Shire of Ballarat in colour and underneath is the title.
Crest, THE SHIRE OF BALLARAT MDCCCLX111. title" FIRST IN THE STATE."
proclaimation of first shire.125th anniversary of ballarat shire
This Certificate was presented to the Shire of Ballarat in appreciation of greetings and best wishes, sent to the City of Burnie Tasmania, on the occasion of the Proclamation of that City,on Tuesday 26th April 1988.
Friendship and fellowship shown to a new city.
Rectangular dark wood frame with gold edging on the inner edge. The certificate is on white paper and the inscriptions in Burgunday and black.It shows the Crest with the words The City of Burnie and non nobis solum and in the centre is an Emu. and a red seal at the base.
To the Shire of Ballarat. The Mayor, Aldermen and Citizens of the City of Burnie express their sincere pleasure and appreciation for the greeting and best wishes conveyed to the Corporation on the occasion of the Proclamation of the City of Burnie on Tuesday,26th April1988. Tasmania's newest City,faces the future with confidence and with a caring attitude in all its dealings. The common seal of the Mayor,Aldermen and Citizens of the City of Burnie has been hereunto affixed pursuant to a resolution of the said Corporation on the second day of May 1988. and signed by Aldermen Rex Collins,Aldermen G.E.Smith and the Town clerk.
prclamation of city of burnie tasmania.1988.
This Meat safe was made by Duncan Mcgregor who entered it in the Warracknabeal Show for which he won first prize in the section for the best item made from a kerosene tin.in (circa)1918.Mr McGregor was always inventive and used to working with metals
This shows the ingenious use of recycled goods.
This meat safe is square with a four sided pointed top and hanging ring. The sides have mesh inserts and there is one shelf.it has been painted cream.
food storage.meat safe.
This Trowel was presented to Ballarat Shire Council by Lloyds (Aust) Ltd on 22nd March 1977,when Councilor R.Kinnersley was Shire President.The reason is unknown.
Silver Trowel is in a rectangular wooden box lined with felt.on the inside of the lid is a silver plaque with inscription.
Presented to Ballarat Shire Council by Lloyds (Aust) Limited 22nd March 1977,Shire President Councilor R.Kinnersley.
trowel, tool, symbolic item
Shire of Ballarat was Proclaimed in 1863 and to celebrate the 125th Anniversary,the City of Ballarat dedicated this certificate from the Mayor Councilors and Citizens of the city.
Acknowledgement of 125th Anniversary of the Shire Of Ballarat.
Rectangular frame with gold trim.Certificate is set in a burgundy mount and wording painted in red and green.
SHIRE OF BALLARAT.1863-1988.THE MAYOR,COUNCILORS AND CITIZENS OF THE CITY OF BALLARAT WARMLEY CONGRATULATE THE SHIRE ON REACHING THE 125TH ANNIVERSARY OF ITS PROCLAMATION AND FOR THE PROUD RECORD OF GOOD GOVERNMENT AND HIGH ACHIEVEMENT IT HAS ESTABLISHED DURING THAT PERIOD. DATED THIS 24TH DAY OF NOVEMBER ONE THOUAND NINE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY EIGHT. Signed Mayor W.Chapman,Councilor A.E.Hancock,Chief Executive Officer A.R.Peile.
certificate.125th anniversary shire of ballarat1988
CENTENARY PLAQUE AUSTRALIAN NATIVES ASSOCIATION.1871 - 1971.This plaque commemorates the centenary of the Australian Natives Association and depicts some of the achievements brought about by the Association in Australia over a Century.The circular shape symbolizes a continuous line of achievements around a central point or theme.Whithin this shape are three bands of waving and undulating sand textured steps,passing through the map of Australia. these bands signify the rolling sandy plains which are so characteristic of this country .There is a total of seven basic shapes representing the seven states - six of which are overlapping representing the mainland.The six oval shapes depict The ANA.crest Federation 1901.The Made in Australia Council.The Australia Day Council. The Armed Forces and Friendly Society.
Made to commemorate 100 years service of ANA to Australia.
A rectangular shadow box style frame of brown wood,in which is a round Brass Medallion on a beige background.Around the edge are wavy bands representing rolling sands.At the top are the words AUSTRALIAN NATIVES ASSOCIATION and at the bottom is inscribed 100 YEARS OF SERVICE and on a map of Australia TO AUSTRALIA.There are seven basic oval shapes on which -from the top-is the ANA Crest and the words Federation 1901.then a Boomerang with the stars of the Southern Cross and the words Buy Australian,then a map of Australia on which are standing three figures of Army,Navy,Airforce Personel,then the Australian flag with Jan 26 and Friendly Society.
AUSTRALIAN NATIVES ASSOCIATION 100 YEARS OF SERVICE TO AUSTRALIA.
ana commemoration plaque.
Victorian Collections acknowledges the Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the first inhabitants of the nation and the traditional custodians of the lands where we live, learn and work.