Historical information

This Spanish Mission style building first opened in 1917 and has been in continual use since as the Mission to seamen and later Mission to Seafarers at a location initially known as the extension to Flinders St near the Australian Wharf and later address known as 717 Flinders St. "The Extension Bond and Free stores" building which can be seen in the background can be identified on an aerial photograph of the area dated 1927.


This image besides showing an early view of the current Mission to Seafarers building also features a glimpse of the early 20th C (Flinders St) Extension Bond ( Store ?) building positioned to make use of the Yarra-side docks known as the Australian Wharf.

Physical description

Positive photograph on medium format glass slide ; b & w image of the chapel and bell tower of 1917 Mission Building, extension to Flinders St. with a loaded horse-drawn dray or wagon being driven in the foreground. . In the background of image can be seen a section of a large warehouse or Bond store building, visible signage reads: "Extension Bond"in upper case letters. The foreground details appear to have been hand touched up with linear ink highlights. Image is slightly blurry. The slide is edged with adhesive tape.

Inscriptions & markings

pencil cross at lower right corner on adhesive tape edging