Serving Trolley - replica Refreshment Services
From the Collection of Puffing Billy Railway School Rd Menzies Creek Victoria
- Serving Trolley made of wood, metal, glass and with rubber wheels
- Length Overall: 6' 7/16" ( 1840 mm ) Width: 1' 9 1/4" ( 540 mm ) Height: 4' 11 1/16" ( 1500 mm )
- puffing billy, serving trolley, refreshment services, victorian railways
- The Refreshment Services Branch was established in 1920, and initially focused on providing station-based refreshment rooms and the dining car service. Its scope expanded to include diverse activities such as stall rental; sales of advertising space on railways infrastructure; laundry services; operation of a hair-dressing salon, a bakery, a butchery and a poultry farm; and the management of the chalet guesthouse at Mt Buffalo.
The majority of staff worked in refreshment rooms and dining cars, both of which were a popular feature of the railway service. Previous to 1920 refreshment services had been provided by contractors, but after many complaints the Department decided to provide a standardised service across the system. It grew quickly: five years after it was established the Branch employed approximately 500 staff. Station refreshment facilities ranged from elaborate dining rooms to decorated push-carts. They were staffed predominately by women, who provided everything from a cup of tea to a three course meal.
Most refreshment room services were closed in the 1970s.
Reference from : Fielding, K. (2012) Victorian Railways - Refreshment Services Branch in Museums Victoria Collections http://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/articles/11470
- Puffing Billy Railway (Maker)
- Historic - Replica of a a Victorian Railways Refreshment Services Serving Trolley used on Puffing Billy Railway
- 16 Oct 2019 at 2:41PM