861 - John Benn - John Rees - Decauville Steam Locomotive
From the Collection of Puffing Billy Railway School Rd Menzies Creek Victoria
- 861 John Benn - John Rees - Decauville Steam Locomotive - Iron & wrought iron frames
- Length overall : 21' 11" ( 6680 ) Width : 6' 8" ( 2032 mm) Height overall : 8' 9" ( 2667mm ) Gauge: 2' 6"
- puffing billy, narrow gauge, industrial narrow gauge railway, metropolitan gas company, couillet 861, decauville 43, steam locomotive, john rees, john benn, 861 locomotive
- 861 John Benn Locomotive - in active service - Emerald Station
Built in 1886 by Société Anonyme Usines Métallurgiques du Hainaut - Locomotives Couillet for the West Melbourne site of the Metropolitan Gas Company, as a four-wheel tank locomotive similar to 986 and named “John Benn”.
The West Melbourne gas works sourced its coal from Maitland, New South Wales, and the coal was brought by ship to a wharf adjacent to the West Melbourne gas plant. John Benn and Carbon were used to haul the coal over a 762 mm (2 ft 6 in) gauge railway from the wharf to the gasworks, a distance of about 450 metres (500 yards).
It was withdrawn from service in the 1930s and stored until sold privately in 1962. It was rebuilt by its new owners in the style of an American locomotive of the 1880s and was used for some years at Walhalla.
It currently has the name “J.C. Rees” and is used in active service for the 861 Footplate Experience.
Build Date: 1886
Construction No.: 861
Empty Weight: Unknown
Weight on Drivers: Unknown
Driver Diameter: Unknown
Tractive Effort: Unknown
Boiler Pressure: Unknown
- Soc. Anonyne des Usines, Hainault Couillet, Société Anonyme Decauville
- Historic - Industrial railways - Metropolitan Gas Company Ltd, Melbourne Steam Locomotive
- 861 John Rees
- 14 Jun 2018 at 2:11PM