Historical information

G42 Garratt Steam Locomotive Traffic and train loadings on Victoria's narrow gauge railways reached their peak during the 1920s. To assist in handling the longer, heavier trains, the Victorian Railways ordered two larger, more powerful Beyer Garratt locomotives. These were delivered in 1926 and were numbered G41 and G42. They were sent to work on the Colac–Beech Forest–Crowes line and the Moe–Walhalla line respectively. After the line from Moe closed in 1954, G42 was sent to Colac, where it worked with its mate, G41, until closure of that line in mid-1962. G41 had been in poor condition and was scrapped, whereas a brighter future awaited G42. The Victorian Railways offered G42 to the Puffing Billy Preservation Society, for display as a static exhibit in the Menzies Creek Museum. Over time, a plan evolved to restore G42 to operation, a goal that was eventually achieved by the launch of G42 back into traffic in April 2004. G42 now continues to operate as a restored member of the Puffing Billy Railway's locomotive fleet. No. originally constructed: 2 No. in service: 1 (No. 42) Boiler pressure: (lb/sq. in) 180 Boiler heating surface: 1268 sq ft (117.8 m2) Tractive effort: (85%) 26,860 lbs (12.18 t) Driving wheel diameter: 36" (91.44 cm) Max axle load: 9t 5cwt Length Overall: 51' 7" (15.72m) Height Overall: 10' 8" (3.28m) Date of manufacture: 1926 Manufacturer: Beyer Peacock Place of manufacture: Manchester UK Locomotive Type: Garratt Coal capacity: 70 cwt Cylinder diameter: 13" (33.02 cm) Cylinder stroke: 18" (45.72 cm) Wheel arrangement: 2-6-0+0-6-2 Roadworthy weight: 69t Water capacity: 1680 gal (7,637.43 l) Beyer Peacock - Garratt Locomotives Register Works Number - 6268 / 1926 Gauge/Railway/Class - 2'6"/Victorian Government Rlys/G Type - 2-6-0+0-6-2 No. G42 Notes - Australia G42 Built in 1926 and painted all-over black, this Garratt locomotive was issued to the Moe to Walhalla line where it remained—other than for overhauls—until the line closed in 1954. After an overhaul at Newport Workshops, it was issued to the Colac to Crowes line and remained there until that line closed in 1962 when it was returned to Newport Workshops for storage. In 1964 it was sold to the Puffing Billy Preservation Society and removed from the V.R. register 3 months later. It arrived at Belgrave in 1968 and was hauled to Menzies Creek for static display in the museum. 1986 saw the commencement of restoration the Belgrave workshops and has been restored to its 1946 to 1954 condition with raised cab roof, raised marker lamps, steel cow-catchers and all-over black livery. It was returned to service on April 18, 2004. Service History : Jun 1926 - Moe - initial allocation of a new locomotive Jun 1926 - Oct 1954 Moe Oct 1954 - Jan 1955 Workshops Jun 1955 - May 1962 Colac Jul 1962 - Dec 1965 Workshops - Stored Jan 1968 - Feb 1968 Belgrave - Stored Feb 1968 - 1982 - Menzies Creek Steam Museum 1982 - 2004 - Under restoration Apr 2004 - Belgrave - In active service at Puffing Billy Railway Belgrave

Significance

Historic - Victorian Railways - Narrow Gauge - Garratt Steam Locomotive - G42 Victorian Heritage Register (VHR) Number H2187

Physical description

G42 Garratt Steam Locomotive made of steel, iron and wrought iron with brass fittings - the Locomotive is in Active Service - Belgrave Station

Inscriptions & markings

G42

References