From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- A clear glass soda syphon bottle with a red pump on the top.
- H-288mm W-82mm
- phillips&stone syphon bottle
- Dross Drossou established a cordial factory in Orbost in the 1930s. He sold his cordial manufacturing business to Phillips and Stone, a Bairnsdale company, in 1948.
Glass bottles were refillable until the 1960s, creating a demand for their collection and onsale back to beverage manufacturers via ‘bottle merchants’. A deposit on the bottles was added to all sales as they left the factory. The returned bottles were washed and the old label removed. The inside was cleaned by pushing the bottle onto a revolving brush. The reusing of the bottles went on until the bottle was broken or the top became chipped.
Phillips & Stone operated in Orbost and Bairnsdale.
- first half 20th century
- Phillips & Stone (makers of cordiald)
- This bottle is an example of a product manufacture by a local industry no longer existing
- "Soda Water Phillips & Stone Bairnsdale P S ORBOST (trademark)
30 Fl OZ"
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:13AM