From the Collection of Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc. Heritage Centre 89 Thompson Avenue COWES VICTORIA
- A pamphlet produced by the St Philips Church of England for the Centenary - 1870 - 1970.
A short history of the church is recorded in the pamphlet starting in 1864 when services were held at the McHaffie family home in Ventnor.
- 26.5 x 10.5
- st philip's church of england phillip island, cowes anglican church phillip island, alice robinson
- The first church services were held at the McHaffie home in Ventnor once a fornight, the Preacher coming over in a whaleboat from the mainland. Land was reserved for the Church in 1869 and the first services were held in the new church in 1870. The Parish Hall was built in 1935.
The short history in the pamphlet was based on material collected from Minute Books, Preachers' Books, Registers of Services, Documents and memories of those who have been closely associated with the Church over many years.
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:10AM