Historical information

Discussed in book : Echuca: A centenary history by Susan Priestley, pp.21, 38, 45, 66, 114-123, 126, 174
R.J.Evans established this mill on the banks of the Murray River, Echuca in 1923 & it operated until 1980. The mill later became a tourist attraction, Red Gum Works, continuing to cut timber until it was taken over by The Port of Echuca as a display (Port of Echuca booklet, 2005 ed., p. 32)


Sawmilling was a very important industry for Echuca. At its peak in Echuca in about 1877 there were between 1000-1500 men employed in the industry (Priestley, Susan. 1965, p.118). Red gum was sourced from the forests along the Murray river. It is a very strong timber suitable for bridge & wharf building, construction works as well as housing and especially for sleepers for the railways. Mills relied on government contracts especially for the sleepers.

Physical description

Colour photograph (post-card size) of red gum sawmill on the Port of Echcua. Photograph is taken looking north.

Inscriptions & markings

Printed on reverse: "this paper manufactured by Kodak."