Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Port of Echuca Echuca, Victoria

The Historic Port of Echuca precinct is an authentic working steam port, home to Australia's largest fleet of steam-driven paddlesteamers. Although its major commodity has changed from wool to people, Port of Echuca still operates much the same as it did in the 1860's, with our shipwrights and steam engineers providing a vital role in the Port's operations today, just as they would have in the late 1800's

Contact Information

location
74 Murray Esplanade Echuca Victoria 3564 (map)
phone
+61 03 54812852

Contact

Opening Hours

9am - 5pm

Entry Fee

Adult $12.45, Senior/Student $10.85, Child $8.50, Family $37.70

Location

74 Murray Esplanade Echuca Victoria

View on Google Maps

The Collection is under the custodianship of the Campaspe Shire and the themes have been developed to preserve, educate and inform the community and visitors about the history and development of the Port of Echuca during the time is was busiest between 1850-1920. The focus of the collection is the Heritage Listed Echuca Wharf built in 1864 and the three paddlesteamers P.S Pevensey, P.S Alexander Arbuthnot and P.S Adelaide dating from 1866. The collection also includes steam traction engines, stationary boilers, a replica sawmill, rai lcarriages, large farm machinery and other objects including winches, drawings, maps and river charts.

Significance

The Port of Echuca is a highly significant historical collection. The collection of buildings, wharf, boats, railway and steam display have a strong association with the development of Echuca, the booming river & rail trade. The paddlesteamers, barges, wharf and railway have strong historic links with the history of the wool and red gum timber industries and the connection of this inland region to the commercial markets of Melbourne, Sydney and beyond.

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

404 items

close
Show All Items Items with Images (384) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents
View As Grid List

404 items

A black and white photograph.

Port of Echuca , Echuca

A black and white photograph of the barge Ada, on a slipway (possibly Moama). A 4 knot marine sign is next to it.The barge is surrounded by trees.

Historical information

The barge Ada, was built in Echuca in 1899. It was 33 metres in length and 6.9 metres wide and was made from timber and iron. It's design was unique as it was half timber, and iron . It was iron above the water line to prevent the wool bales from getting wet. The Ada was used to carry wool from Sheep Stations on the Murray and Murrumbidgee Rivers down to Echuca Wharf for distribution around the world. The Permewan Wright, Murray Shipping Company owned the Ada. In the 1930's the Ada was sold to the Evans family who used it to transport timber to it's Echuca sawmill. It was purchased by the Port of Echuca in 1974. Here it's seen on the Moama slipway undergoing restoration for Port of Echuca Sept.1979-June 1980. It remains at the Moama Slipway.

Significance

The barge Ada is very significant due to the uniqueness of her design. The hull is timber, up to the water line, then iron from the water line up to protect the bales of wool inside, from water damage. The P.S Pevensey has the same design feature. The Ada has been on static display since 1974 at the Port of Echuca.

Inscriptions & Markings

On the back In blue pen:" Ada Barge"

Coloured Photograph

Port of Echuca , Echuca

Colour photograph detailing most of the P. S. Adelaide winch, viewed from the deck facing the bow. Another boat, possibly a barge, is partially visible on left.

Historical information

The P.S Adelaide was launched on 21st July 1866. It was owned by J.G.Grassie from Poon Boon Station and the Officer Family of Murray Downs Station Swan Hill. The Adelaide was named after the niece of the Officer Bros, Adelaide Blackwood. The shipwright who built her was George Linklater. The Adelaide brought wool and passengers from the wool stations on the Murray and Darling Rivers down to the Echuca Wharf. In 1872 she was sold to David Blair & Sons. She was used to bring timber from the Barmah Forest to the Echuca Wharf. She did this work for the next 80 years. In 1953 she was tied up near the Mill and left. In 1958 she went to Paringa South Australia to work in the sawmill industry again. In 1960 the Echuca Apex Club and The Echuca Historical Society raised enough funds to buy the P.S. Adelaide and return her to Echuca. In November 1963 she was lifted out of the water and placed in Hopwood Gardens as this was thought to be a way of preserving her. In 1984 it was decided to return her to the water to resume work as a passenger vessel. In that time the Port of Echuca and the Echuca Wharf had been restored as a Tourist Precinct. This photograph shows the beginning of the task to return her to the river. It took several weeks in March and April 1984.

Significance

The P.S Adelaide is extremely significant as it it the oldest known wooden hulled paddle steamers in the world. She was built in Echuca in 1866 and still operates on the Murray River today. She has worked in the Wool Industry, the Timber Industry and the Tourist Industry.

Inscriptions & Markings

On reverse in black pen:"Adelaide winch. May 84". Fujicolor paper.

Photograph - P.S Ruby at Morgan Wharf.

Port of Echuca , Echuca

A black and white photograph of the P.S Ruby with a laden barge next to it, tied up at the Morgan Wharf.

Historical information

The P.S Ruby is possibly the vessel mentioned in "1898 Register of Marine Underwriter's Association of Victoria." ; 'Ruby : composite construction P.S (14 h.p) ; 117/96 tonnage L 82.0 ft. X B 18.7 ft. X D 4.9 ft. ; registered - Adelaide 1884, No - 74,898. Built in Moama, N.S.W in 1876, owned by River Murray N. Co. (Reference "The Register of Australian & New Zealand Shipping 1898" page 113. This photograph was possibly taken in 1900. The photograph shows height and position of the wharf at Morgan, with another paddle steamer behind.

Significance

The photo shows the height and position of the wharf at Morgan. The photo shows the positioning of cargo on the barges. This photo shows the use of rickshaw devices, used to load the cargo onto the barge. It is also a good view of the P.S Ruby.

Inscriptions & Markings

'Ruby at Morgan' is written in lead pencil on the back of the photograph.

Black and white photograph

Port of Echuca , Echuca

Black and white photograph of a man "punting" sheep. Documented as being on the creek at "CULPRA" (Mildura end?) in June 1956.

Historical information

This black and white photograph is slightly hazy. It shows a man and his sheep dog on a punt full of sheep in June 1956. Believed to be crossing the CULPRA creek at the Mildrua end. The punt has corrugated iron sides.

Significance

This photo shows social and historical significance in than it depicts how they transported sheep across the creek in the mid 1950s. The working dog is visible and the man's attire including hat is visible. In the background large gum trees are visible.

Inscriptions & Markings

On back in black pencil: Price, "punting"sheep over the creek at CULPRA June 1956. (Mildura end?)

Black & white photograph

Port of Echuca , Echuca

Black & white photograph and negative of the P. S. Edwards floating on the river, with 2 people standing on the stern & 2 people on the bow. Ongoing repairs apparent on and under the deck.

Historical information

The P. S. Edwards was built in May 1875 by J. M. Webb, Echuca. Official number 73287, made of wood, with paddle wheels at the side. 78 gross tons, 27 nett tons. It was altered in 1916 , after cabin removed 48 gross ton. It had 7 different owners before being purchased by R. J. Evans, of Evans Bros. Saw Mill, Echuca, in 1919. The P. S. Edwards was sunk at Echuca in the spring of 1958 and then raised in January 1981 and then was being restored by Geoff Evans in 1985 (Parsons, Ronald. Ships of the Island Rivers. 3rd ed. 1996. p.67) One of a series: P000234.2 to P000252.2 inclusive & N000269.

Significance

The P. S. Edwards has historical and social significance being a paddle boat built in Echuca. The P. S. Edwards was built in May 1875 by J. M. Webb, Echuca. It had 7 different owners before being purchased by R. J. Evans, of Evans Bros. Saw Mill, Echuca, in 1919. The P. S. Edwards was sunk at Echuca in the spring of 1958 "and as the mill was burnt in 1959 salvage was not attempted. She was raised in January 1981 and in 1985 was restored by Geoff Evans. While owned by Evans Bros, was used to bring red gum from the Barmah Forest to the sawmill in the barge Clyde." (Parsons, Ronald. Ships of the Island Rivers. 3rd ed. 1996. p.67)

Inscriptions & Markings

In black pen on reverse of photograph: Edwards In red ink: It's Kodak color. Apr.81. Kodak

Colour Photograph

Port of Echuca , Echuca

Colour photograph of the P. S. Adelaide on a soil ramp, being encouraged (rear entry) onto the river. A winching float and an outboard motor boat are at the right front. Spectators line the banks of the ramp. Temporary slipway constructed of logs is clearly visible before the boat enters the water.

Historical information

This coloured photograph shows the re-floating of the P. S. Adelaide on a soil ramp, being encouraged (rear entry) down the temporary slipway onto the river. The temporary slipway is clearly visible with a workman (possibly Kevin Hutchinson) standing at thelast log as the boat nears the waters' edge. A winching float and an outboard motor boat are at the right. Spectators line the banks of the ramp. Part of a photo sequence no.P000041; P000045; P000046; P000047; P000048 of P. S. Adelaide re-floating.

Significance

The re-floating of the P. S. Adelaide was a Significant community social event evident by the number of spectators in the photograph. The community had invested a great deal of time and money into re-floating the paddlesteamer. The newspaper covered the event in detail with a number of action shots as the boat made its rear entry from the temporary slipway onto the river. Part of a photo sequence no.P000041; P000045; P000046; P000047; P000048 of P. S. Adelaide re-floating.

Coloured Photograph

Port of Echuca , Echuca

Colour photograph (satin finish) of the P. S. Adelaide moored at the Echuca wharf with a towing log lying behind the windlass. A boat of spectators is to the front of the scene.

Historical information

Photo sequence in register nos P000041, P000045, P000046, P000047, P000048, of P. S. Adelaide re-floating. The Adelaide is tied up to the Echuca Wharf, facing south, and there is another boat, possibly the P. S. Pevensy, which has spectators on it watching at close range the workmen on the Adelaide as they secure the towing log in place.

Significance

This colour photograph depicts a significant social and historical event in the re-floating of the P. S. Adelaide. There was much community interest in this event as the P. S. Adelaide had been refitted and repaired after being a static display in the Hopwood gardens, Echcua for many years.

Inscriptions & Markings

"ADELAIDE" marked on the wheelhouse and the side of the boat.

Coloured postcard.

Port of Echuca , Echuca

This is a coloured rectangular postcard of the Brigidine Convent, Echuca

Historical information

Formerly the home of Henry Hopwood. Apsley House, No. 1 Echuca. This was purchased for the Bridgine nuns to establish a catholic co-education school in Echuca. Extensions were made to the original structure (to the south of this building) with outbuildings and brick stables converted to school rooms during the late 1886 and opened as St Joseph's in 1887. The front section of the school was built in 1888. At the time of this photograph the upper floor of the building was the boarding house.

Significance

The school building holds historical, social and spiritual significance to Echuca being the former home of Echuca's founder, Henry Hopwood. The diocese purchased the original building for 1,000 pounds. The school opened as a co-educational school on 22/3/1886 with 16 boys and 7 girls. It's first enrolment was a non-Catholic boy. By the end of 1886 there were 30 pupils. The boarding school opened on 4/5/1886 with 6 students. The chapel (to the north of this building) was built in 1889. For 60 years the school provided both primary and secondary schooling but in 1960's it changed to secondary schooling. The boarding house closed around 1986 and the school continued as a co-educational catholic college.

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on the front of the postcard are the words Brigidine Convent, Echuca. On the back are the words. POSTCARD. This space may be used for communication. For Address only. Printed in Germany. Fosdyke &a Co. Echuca.

Black and white photograph

Port of Echuca , Echuca

Black and white photograph of Captain Hugh Price standing on deck of steamboat. 2 copies. P000021 H 16.8 X W 11.2 (copy 1) P000021.2 H 12.3 X W 7.6 (copy 2)

Historical information

Black and white photograph of Captain Hugh Price standing on the deck of a steamboat. Part of the Price Collection. 2 black and white copies.

Significance

This photograph depicts historical and social significance of life in approximately the 1950s.

Inscriptions & Markings

In pencil on back "Captain Hugh Price. Born 1892- d.1964. Blanchetown.

Black & white photograph

Port of Echuca , Echuca

Black & white photograph of the P. S. Edwards tied up to the bank. A large winch can be seen on the front deck.

Historical information

The P. S. Edwards was built in May 1875 by J. M. Webb, Echuca. Official number 73287, made of wood, with paddle wheels at the side. 78 gross tons, 27 nett tons. It was altered in 1916 , after cabin removed 48 gross ton. It had 7 different owners before being purchased by R. J. Evans, of Evans Bros. Saw Mill, Echuca, in 1919. The P. S. Edwards was sunk at Echuca in the spring of 1958 and then raised in January 1981 and then was being restored by Geoff Evans in 1985 (Parsons, Ronald. Ships of the Island Rivers. 3rd ed. 1996. p.67)

Significance

The P. S. Edwards has historical and social significance being a paddle boat built in Echuca. The P. S. Edwards was built in May 1875 by J. M. Webb, Echuca. It had 7 different owners before being purchased by R. J. Evans, of Evans Bros. Saw Mill, Echuca, in 1919. The P. S. Edwards was sunk at Echuca in the spring of 1958 "and as the mill was burnt in 1959 salvage was not attempted. She was raised in January 1981 and in 1985 was restored by Geoff Evans. While owned by Evans Bros, was used to bring red gum from the Barmah Forest to the sawmill in the barge Clyde." (Parsons, Ronald. Ships of the Island Rivers. 3rd ed. 1996. p.67)

Inscriptions & Markings

On the paddle steamer can be seen the word Edwards.

Black and white photograph

Port of Echuca , Echuca

A black and white photograph of the P.S.Canberra coming downstream from the iron bridge at Echuca.

Historical information

The P.S Canberra was built in 1912 at Goolwa South Australia by David Milne. It was built as a fishing vessel. It was originally a steam engine, reverted to diesel, but was returned to steam in 1995. It is currently owned by the Murray Steam Ship and Tourist Co. and has operated as a tourist vessel at Echuca Since 1967. (Ref Parsons, R "Ships of the Inland Rivers " p. 58)

Significance

The P.S Canberra is significant as it has operated as a tourist vessel since 1967, and continues to do so.

Inscriptions & Markings

On boat the words Canberra.

Black and white photograph

Port of Echuca , Echuca

Black and white photograph of an old Murray River Sawmill building with the chimney to the right and a door and window on the left. Two stacks of timber planks are against the wall between the window and the chimney. A dirt driveway is in front of the building with timber planks edging the driveway.

Historical information

The old brick Murray River Sawmill office was demolished around 1975. This appears to be part of one of the office buildings associated with the sawmill, taken in shadow, with the building well back on the block, on the bridge side. There is a dirt driveway in front of the building and stacks of timber next to the chimney side of the building. Trees are visible behind these stacks of timber. Two stacks of timber (1x 4 blocks high, 1 X 3 blocks high) are in front of the building between the window and the chimney This relates to photographs P000106, P000105

Significance

Sawmills in the Echuca area were historically and socially significant being a large employer in the area. The Murray River sawmill was one of the biggest and longest operating sawmills in the area.

Inscriptions & Markings

On the reverse in pencil "Old M. R. S. Building well back on the block on the bridge side. Near old offices, also demolished about 1975??" Kodak, , in blue ink "0932"

Black and white photograph

Port of Echuca , Echuca

Black and white photograph of a "K" class loco at the coal hopper at Echuca Railway Station. Front view.

Historical information

The photo shows a 'K' Class loco -158. The K Class Locos were built between 1940 and 1968. The coal hopper no longer exists at Echcua. (Roy McDuff, Port of Echuca)

Significance

The railways were an important part of the transportation of goods to Melbourne from the Port of Echuca. September 1864 saw the completion of the line from Bendigo to Echuca. In 1877 the iron bridge over the Murray River was completed and used by the trains of the Deniliquin and Moama Railway Company, " a private line that operated on the Victorian gauge between Echuca and Deniliquin" (Blyth, Ian Echuca Skettchbook. Rigby 1978. p.24)

Inscriptions & Markings

On reverse in pencil: " K Class at Echuca" Echuca K Class. 1940-1968". In blue pen:" Photo by: George L. Coop Nov 1963"

Black and white photograph

Port of Echuca , Echuca

This is a photograph of the Echuca Wharf taken from the N.S.W bank. The Captain & crew are standing on the deck of P.S.Melbourne in foreground with original Echuca wharf in background.Paddlesteamers lining bank of river.The bank of the Murray river is clearly visible with Shackells Bond store in centre rear of picture.

Historical information

Paddlesteamers were used to bring produce to out lying properties from major towns. Wool was bought back into the Port to be shipped off to markets in Melbourne. This is a photograph of a celebration of sorts. The wharf is lined with people. The train is visible and the men on the P.S Melbourne are dressed in top hats.

Significance

This photograph shows the early development of the Wharf at Echuca. Being the largest inland Port in Australia you can see here the early days of the building of the Wharf .

Black and white photograph

Port of Echuca , Echuca

Black and white photograph of buildings along Murray Esplanade, Echuca Port. Picture taken on wharf side facing west and shows Star Hotel and The Bond Store prior to restoration.

Historical information

This photo shows the Bond Store and the Star Hotel before they were restored to become focal points of the Port of Echuca tourist precinct. The City of Echuca purchased the panel beaters in 1972 and commenced restoration opening to the public in 1974 where the restored wharf and the Bond store were the only tourist attractions of the Port of Echuca. In 1973 the Council purchased the house and it became The Star Hotel and added to the Port of Echuca tourist precinct.

Significance

The Bond Store and The Bridge Hotel were the first brick buildings in Henry Hopwood's Echuca. The bricks being made locally.The Bond Store was erected in 1859 as a store to protect goods from the weather. In 1867 Joseph Saloman purchased James Shackell's residence and converted it into a hotel. It was licensed until 1897, being a very popular hotel for workers on the wharf especially with its underground bar, 'The Shades'. Later it was used as a private residence, boarding house and an office before being restored by the City of Echuca, as The Star Hotel. During restoration the underground bar was re-discovered. (Port of Echuca teacher resource pack.2005 ,pp.24-25)

Inscriptions & Markings

On front of left hand building sign writing : "Panel & Paint. 24 hour/ towing service/windscreens ? fitted." On reverse: in pencil "Oct' 73" green stamp "Port of Echuca"

Colour Photograph

Port of Echuca , Echuca

Colour photograph of water tower on the south east corner of High and Pakenham street, Echuca. The St Andrews church tower can be seen in the background.

Historical information

The water tower on the corner of Pakenham St and High Street Echuca, was designed by Sir John Monash, who was an innovator in the use of reinforced concrete. The tower cost £2,973 and was completed in 1915. It is 108 feet high and holds 150,000 gallons. it was originally connected to the steam powered pumping plant at Echuca East. John Monash was a war hero at Gallipoli in 1915 and also went on to be the Manager of the Victorian State Electricity Commission. Monash University was named after him.

Significance

The water tower was a revolutionary design in 1915., being constructed of reinforced concrete. It also brought tapped water to people's homes. Sir John Monash made a huge contribution to engineering and social concepts, which was why he was knighted. As well as these contributions to social development, he was also a war hero.

Inscriptions & Markings

On the front of the photograph on the bottom facade of the water tower is painted "E.W.T." (Echuca Water Trust). Printed on the reverse:" this paper manufactured by Kodak"

Coloured photograph.

Port of Echuca , Echuca

This is a coloured photograph of P.S Betsy moored to the bank upstream of Echuca Wharf ( Victorian side). The P.S Pevensey can be seen in the background underway in front of the wharf. A man and a woman can be seen standing on top of the paddle steamer. The top of the boat is decorated with flags.

Historical information

The P.S Betsy was built in the back yard of Bob and Betty Colville in Shepparton in 1966.. The Colville Family owned the Betsy from 1966 - 1993. It had a fibreglass sheathed steel hull and was powered by a 19 hp David Brown tractor engine. Barry Sheahan from Picola was the next owner. . He moored the P.S Betsy at the Barmah Lakes. Ref. ( Parsons, R; "Ships of the Inland Rivers." P. 54.)

Significance

The P.S Betsy is significant because it was built in a backyard setting, possibly by people who had never built a paddle steamer before. They also chose to fit the boat with a tractor engine .

Inscriptions & Markings

On back of photo are written the words Print made by Kodak Oct 78 M . On the boat the words Betsy can be seen.

Colour negative, coloured photograph and coloured enlargement.

Port of Echuca , Echuca

Colour negative and two different sized photographs showing three paddle steamers travelling upstream towards the Echcua Wharf. There is a small unidentifiable paddle steamer in the foreground. The P.S Adelaide is sailing between the other two paddle steamers. The P.S Pevensey is in the background. The P.S Murray Queen is in the foreground. All three boats are heading towards the wharf, immediately after the re-launch of the P.S Adelaide from the Hopwood Gardens, back into the Murray River on 03/04/1984.

Historical information

These photographs and negative show the P. S. Adelaide travelling from Paddlewheel Park up to the Echcua wharf, immediately after being re-launched into the Murray River on 03/04/1984. The P.S.Adelaide had been displayed in the Hopwood Gardens, as a static display since 1960. The P.S Adelaide is the second oldest wooden hulled paddle steamer, still operative, in the world. The P.S Pevensey is leading the way up to the wharf, and an unknown smaller paddle steamer follows behind.

Significance

This photograph is significant because it shows the P.S Adelaide back in the Murray River after 24 years as a static display in the Hopwood Gardens. The P.S Adelaide is the second oldest wooden hulled paddle steamer, still operative in the world. In July 2016 it celebrated its 150th birthday. These images relate to P000059.3, P000060.3, P000061.3, P000062.2, P000063.3, P000070.2, P000071.

Black and white photograph of Shackell's Bonded Stores. - Shackell's Bonded Stores, Murray Esplanade, Echuca, late 1870's.

Port of Echuca , Echuca

A black and white copy of a photo of Shackell's Bonded Stores in Murray Esplanade. Also written on the front of the building 'Wm McCulloch $Co. Proprietors. Steamer Contracting & Agents Carriers. Custom House Agents. Forwarding Agents.' The Jewish star at the top of the building is partly visible. Murray Esplanade is dirty and muddy with stones strewn around.

Historical information

Shackell's Bonded Stores in Murray Esplanade was a very early building in Echuca. Mr Shackell was shipping agent. He built the building with a Jewish Star right at the top to show his interest in his religion. He was also an early town councillor and may have even served a term as Mayor. His leasee was William McCulloch who was also a shipping agent, amongst other things. Written on the front of the building are the words "Shackell's Bonded Stores / Wm. McCulloch & Co. Proprietors / Forwarding Agents / Steamer Agents /. & Contracting Carriers & / Customs House Agents." Written on the window "Office of the Murray, Murrumbidgee and Darling Steamers."

Significance

This photograph shows the importance of shipping agents in the early life of Echuca. It also shows the state of the roads in the 1870's. This building is still in use in the 21st Century with some of the wording still intact on the building. Wm McCulloch and Co went on to become a major international trading company. James Shackell made many contributions to early life in Echuca and there is a street named after him.

Inscriptions & Markings

Written in lead pencil on the back is "Esplanade end. Could have been late 1870's or early 1880's when McCulloch's took it over. May have been taken when "Courtyard" added. Note Star & Shackell wording in same place as now, near Star."

Photograph - Alexander Arbuthnot on slip

Port of Echuca , Echuca

Colour photograph of the P.S.Alexander Arbuthnot on the slip at Moama April 1995. She is safely secured for repairs and maintenance works to be carried out. In the foreground is the ute of the port of Echuca, workers can be seen on the boat as well as on the far right hand side.The height of the paddle steamer out of water can be seen by the step ladder at the rear of the paddle-wheel.

Historical information

P.S.Alexander Arbuthnot was the last paddle steamer built for the river trade in 1923 at Koondrook. She was used by the saw mills to bring timber into the mills from the forests in the area. When she was no longer needed for this role she took on a new role as a commercial paddle steamer, transporting our tourists for an enjoyable one hour cruise on the Murray River.

Significance

The river trade of the late 1800's early 1900's saw Echuca as the largest inland port in Australia. Boats such as the Alexander Arbuthnot have survived the river trade era and are now used as commercial vessels to give our tourists the experience of stepping back in time on board an authentic wood fired paddle steamer.

Inscriptions & Markings

Helen Coulson Alexr. Arbuthnot on slip, 1995 H Coulson Collection Robert Symons Chemist Echuca 82 5555 5-4-95

Colour photograph

Port of Echuca , Echuca

Colour photograph of a punt tied to the port structure, seen through the foliage of gums on the river bank.

Historical information

This photograph shows a punt (with a dingy tied to it ) moored to the wharf structure on the Murray river at Echuca. Punts were used to transport people and goods from one side of the river to the other.

Significance

Punts were used to cross the Murray river at many spots before bridges were built. Henry Hopwood set up his initial business with punts across the Murray and Campaspe rivers, charging people, animals and vehicles to cross the rivers.

Inscriptions & Markings

On reverse:" This paper manufactured by Kodak"

Photograph - P.S.Murrumbidgee

Port of Echuca , Echuca

P.S.Murrumbidgee tied at the Echuca wharf during time of flood with tender at rear of boat. She is fully loaded with wool bales. Possibly the skipper and his family standing on the paddle wheel box.Cargo shed on wharf with stiff legged crane visible above load.

Historical information

Wool bales were collected from outlying properties, transported along the river on paddle steamers and/or barges to the wharf at Echuca.Loads were stacked as high as possible, sometimes obscuring the name boards of the paddle steamers carrying it, as in this instance.

Significance

Once the river was opened up for trade it was quicker and more cost effective to transport the wool to the markets via paddle steamers.Wool was loaded to the maximum height and bought to the wharf as quickly as possible.

Inscriptions & Markings

Murrabit bge 75%

Black and white photograph of the P.S Marion

Port of Echuca , Echuca

A black and white photograph of the P.S Marion taken in 1941. The location is unknown. The right hand side of the photograph is out of focus.

Historical information

This photograph is part of the Price Family collection and is of the P.SMarion .

Significance

This photograph shows a typical passenger paddle steamer used on the Murray River as transport up and down the river.

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on the back in peculiar, "Price. Marion 1941'. Location unknown.

A black and white photograph.

Port of Echuca , Echuca

A black and white photograph of the P.S Canberra, P.S Emmylou and the P.S Pride of the Murray travelling upstream with passengers, at Echuca.

Historical information

The Emmylou was newly built and in business carrying passengers. In 1984 the P.S Canberra and the P.S Pride of the Murray were all in business running paddle steamer cruises.

Significance

This photograph was taken in 1984, in the early days of Tourism in the Echuca Moama region. It also shows the newly constructed P.S Emmylou named after the U.S singer Emmylou Harris. It also shows two simple 'houseboats' tied to the far bank of the river. Also an early indication of the houseboat industry.

Inscriptions & Markings

The words, Pride of the Murray, Emmylou and Canberra can be seen written on the paddle steamers in the photograph.

Photograph - Alexander Arbuthnot on slip

Port of Echuca , Echuca

Coloured photograph of the paddle steamer Alexander Arbuthnot on the slip at Moama, securely tied with chains on all sides. The workers are taking a well earned lunch break from the work that is to be done. At the rear of the photograph can be seen house boats, with river red gums sitting on the banks of the Murray River. The river level is about normal for this time of the year.

Historical information

The P.S. Alexander Arbuthnot was the last of the paddle steamers built for the river trade in 1923. Seen here up on the slip in Moama, as all commercial paddle steamers had to undergo routine checks every two years. Owned by the Arbuthnot Sawmills,later Evans Bros and then Barmah Charcoal Ltd. She sank at Yeilima, re-floated in 1973, placed on a low loader and taken to Shepparton for preservation. Echuca city council bought her for the Port of Echuca in April 1989. She was bought to Echuca in December 1991 to complete her restoration by shipwright Kevin Hutchinson. She is now used as a passenger vessel for our tourists.

Significance

Being the last paddle steamer built for the river trade in 1923, the Alexander Arbuthnot is a reminder of the past life on the river.Licensed to now carry 47 passengers, she was used by the saw mills to bring timber in from the forests to the sawmills.

Inscriptions & Markings

Helen coulson A.A. on slip, 1995 H oulson Robert Symons Chemist Echuca 82 555 5-4-95

Black & white photograph

Port of Echuca , Echuca

Black and white photograph shows the enterance building, wharf building and some of the machinery of the Port of Echuca and picket fence in Murray Esplanade, looking east, intended to emphasise the effect of power line undergrounding.

Historical information

Undergrounding of the power lines took place in September 1982. Relates to "before" shots P000159, P000161, P000163 and "after" shots P000160, P000162, P000164. The log benches have been removed from the other side of the road in preparation for the filming of "All the Rivers Run" which began in October 1982. Interview with Helen Coulson, 27.09.1984

Significance

The power lines were put underground for the filming of "All the Rivers Run" which began in October 1982. The Port area was returned to look like it would have been in the 1870s. The roads were covered in gravel, signage was removed and power lines were put underground, in an endeavour to create the appropriate era.

Rectangular coloured photograph and negative.

Port of Echuca , Echuca

A coloured photograph of the P.S Pevensey travelling on the Murray River and possibly turning into the Campaspe River. Two big green banners can be seen on the opposite bank.

Historical information

This is a photograph of the P.S Pevensey possibly turning into the Campaspe River. The paddle steamer is not in full steam and in the foreground a river bank can be seen, which looks very similar to the Campaspe Junction. No inscriptions can be seen, and no people are visible. Two big green banners can be seen on the opposite bank.

Significance

This photograph is significant because it shows the P.S. Pevensey possibly turning into the Campaspe River. This is significant because the river would have to have been high for the Pevensey to be able to do this. This photograph is also part of the series of photographs taken by Bill La Grue in 1984.

Photograph - Moama wharf

Port of Echuca , Echuca

Moama wharf with two sheds on the decking. Murray river at a low state, with timbers visible in the bottom, possibly for the building of the wharf. River red gums all along the bank behind the wharf.

Historical information

Moama on the NSW side of the Murray river had it's own wharf but not to the extent of the one in Echuca.It was built around 1879 after the one in Echuca was built, but it's main purpose was as an evasion for paying custom duties.

Significance

The Moama wharf was built just after the wharf at Echuca as a customs dodge. The Customs house was in Echuca, so this provided a place for goods to cross the border without paying customs.

Inscriptions & Markings

Moama Wharf

Coloured postcard.

Port of Echuca , Echuca

This is a coloured rectangular postcard of the park at the entrance to the Victoria Park boatramp. Crofton Street can be seen in the background. The picture shows a fountain and 2 statues on bases, one in the background and one in the foreground.

Historical information

This photograph is significant as it shows the fountain in Victoria Park which was designed by W.C Vahland and built in 1882. This photograph shows the extent of the gardens which are no longer there. The statues were also part of the garden design and are still there. The date is believed to be 1910, however the Federation Arch was erected in 1901 next to the Vahland fountain and it does not appear to be in this photograph. Crofton St, can be seen in the background. The plants in the garden all appear to be mainly European plants.

Significance

This photograph is significant as it shows the extent and the type of garden design at the end of the 19th Century. It also shows the fountain designed by W.C Vahland in 1882. W.C Vahland was a Bendigo architect who designed 200 buildings in Bendigo as well as three fountains iHe designed 20 buildings and one fountain in Echuca .

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on the front of the postcard are the words Echuca Park. On the back are the words. POSTCARD. This space may be used for communication. For Address only. Printed in Germany. Fosdyke &a Co. Echuca.

Black and white photograph

Port of Echuca , Echuca

Black and white photograph of a D3 639 locomotive and three carriages, crossing the iron bridge at Echuca. It is seen from the front left hand side.

Historical information

The photograph shows a D3 loco, built around 1949, crossing the iron bridge. This particular loco was a special one used to draw the Commissioner's carriages. (Roy McDuff, Port of Echuca)

Significance

The railways were an important part of the transportation of goods to Melbourne from the Port of Echuca. September 1864 saw the completion of the line from Bendigo to Echuca. The Iron Bridge was built across the Murray River between Echuca and Moama, completed in 1878, it was used by trains of the Deniliquin and Moama Railway Company.

Inscriptions & Markings

On front on plates of locomotive:" D3", "639", " 639"On reverse in pencil: "Brown card" in black pen: "Commissioners special. F. Brown on Footplate. George C.L. Coop c1963".