Historical information

The Ada is a barge made of a composite of wood and iron. it was built at Echuca in 1899 to carry wool and cargo from station properties on the Murray and Murrumbidgee rivers to the Port of Echuca . It was towed along the river by paddle steamers, mainly The PS Pevensey. The Ada could carry 350 tons of cargo and was originally owned by The Permewan and Wright, Murray Shipping Co. In the late 1930s she was bought by the Evans Brothers' Red Gum Sawmill. Two bulkheads were removed to enable the logs, to be placed inside and transported to the mills. Road transport overtook the use of the river barges, and The Ada was left abandoned on the banks of the Murray River opposite the sawmill until it was purchased by the Port of Echuca in 1974 and refloated in 1979.

Physical description

A barge with a composite hull of steel and timber which was built in 1898

Inscriptions & markings

ADA signage on port and starboard bow