The old Loco shed was built in 1864, as part of Echuca's rail extension, to service both passengers and goods but mainly wool, from the Riverina to Melbourne.
The coming of the railway had a significant impact on Echuca and the transportation of produce, people and goods between Melbourne and the Riverina. The extension of the rail line from Bendigo began in 1862 and the final rail was laid in 1864. The Echuca line went into service immediately. The trains average speed was 20-25miles/hour double the pace of the Cobb & Co coaches. The locomotive shed housed and repaired the steam trains and carriages.
Colour photograph X 2, of the old locomotive shed, showing the 3 front arches and side arches of one side wall. This photo was taken in 1977 showing the shed open but unused and surrounded by dried grass.
P000157.1 & P000157.2
Inscriptions & markings
On reverse printed: Dec 77-M: Print made by Kodak : Kodak
P000157.1 in pencil Old Loco Shed
P000157.1.2 typed sticker Old Loco Shed, Echuca. 1864