Container - Henderson chocolate Australia box
From the Collection of Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. 2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria
- This is a white rectangular cardboard box with the base extended on all sides about half a centimetre out from the base. The box has a white cardboard cover which has a top with a navy blue background, a Union Jack, the six stars of the Southern Cross (making the Australian flag) with an image of King George V of England. The lettering on the top of the box is in gold print. The cover completely encloses the box. Inside the box are the remnants of a white lace-pattern paper used to line the box. There is a trace of silverfish damage on the side of the box and the edges of the box are a little crumpled.
- W 16 cm. H 12.2 cm. D 3.5 cm.
- This box was produced by the Henderson business to hold half a pound of chocolates for sale to the Australian public. The box is a souvenir one, with the image of George V of England on the lid. This suggests that the box was produced perhaps to celebrate the coronation of George V in 1910. He reigned until his death in 1936.
- Early 20th century
- This box is of interest as a souvenir item sold in Australia and dating back to the early years of the 20th century. It will be useful for display.
- “Henderson’s ‘Australia’ Box, Chocolates ½ lb. Nett.”
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:13AM