Historical information

IT IS ON PERMAMENT LOAN FROM HEPBURN SHIRE THE CANNON WAS ORIGINALLY ON THE BRITISH NAVAL SHIP "NELSON" IN FEBRUARY 1867. "NELSON" WAS HANDED OVER TO THE VICTORIAN NAVAL FORCES, ON LOAN FROM THE ROYAL NAVY. "NELSON" WAS SOLD 1898, IT IS BELIEVED THAT THE GUNS WERE THEN OFFERED FOR SALE TO COUNCILS. IT WAS DISPLAYED ON A SITE NEAR THE SCENIC ROAD, CLUNES, UNTIL THE WOODEN UNDERCARRIAGE WAS DESTROYED BY THE BUSHFIRES IN 1944. IT WAS LATER RETRIEVED AND KEPT IN THE CLUNES BOROUGH COUNCIL YARD UNTIL IT WAS RESTORED BY THE APPRENTICES AT THE BENDIGO ORDNANCE WORKSHOPS IN 1895. THE TIMBER USED FOR THE RESTORATION WAS TAKEN FROM AN ELM TREE NEAR THE CREEK IN CLUNES.

Physical description

.1 NAVAL CANNON MOUNTED ON A WOODEN UNDERCARRIAGE.
.2 One cannonball