2 NC - Brake Van (4 ton capacity)
From the Collection of Puffing Billy Railway School Rd Menzies Creek Victoria
- Brake Van (4 ton capacity) made of Timber and wrought iron
- Length Overall: 27 ' 4 " (8330 mm) Width: 6 ' 3" (1905 mm) Height : 9 ' 5 " (2870 mm) Tare Weight: 7 tons 3 cwt. Weight : 9 tons Goods Capacity: 4 tons Nominal Passenger Capacity: 10 Gauge: 2' 6"
- puffing billy, 2nc, 2'6" gauge, victorian railways, 2 nc brake van
- NC Van
The NC guard's vans were originally classed NDD. In the 1910 reclassification they were classified NC. Apart from the windows and height they were externally the same as the NBC vans.
Inside there were benches along both side walls. One end was equipped with a small guard's compartment. This had two corner seats, two desks with ticket selling windows and a letter rack. A novel feature was a folding dog cage under one of the benches.
Six NC Brake Van / Guards Vans were built by Victorian Railways
1 NC was built in 1909 as NDD and reclassed 1NC in 1910.
2 NC was built and placed into service Nov 1912
3 NC , 4 NC and 5 NC were built and placed into service June / July 1914
6 NC was Built and placed into service in 1919
1 NC, 4 NC and 6 NC were all scrapped by Victorian Railways between 1954 and 1957
2NC - Brake Van (4 ton capacity)
VR Service History
26/11/1912 NWS Built new
*NC 2.VA - 26/11/1912 NWS Built new -
circa 1926 - Modified AC Malco BO
6/ 7/1932 NWS Into Workshops -
5/ 8/1932 NWS Out of Workshops (31 days)
2/10/1937 NWS Into Workshops -
3/12/1937 NWS Out of Workshops (63 days)
25/ 1/1945 NWS Into Workshops -
23/ 2/1945 NWS Out of Workshops (30 days)
Dec 2016 - Puffing Billy Rollling Stock register
Puffing Billy Service History or Notes
21 Oct 1995 - Loco 7A and 2 NC collides with trolleys NK 3, Jenny, & NG 1 on the SELBY side of the MONBULK CREEK trestle bridge.
- Victorian Railways - Newport Workshop (Maker)
- Historic - Victorian Railways - Narrow Gauge Rolling Stock - NC Brake Van
- 30 Oct 2019 at 2:40PM