Oral History - Deirdre Farrell
From the Collection of Glen Eira City Council History and Heritage Collection Corner Glen Eira and Hawthorn Roads Caulfield Victoria
- Digital recording of an oral history interview taken by Cameron Auty with Deirdre Farrell. Supplementary files include photographs of Deirdre's father Les Campbell, a WWI veteran, Les' service record and a research file created by Deirdre.
- glen eira, caulfield, deirdre farrell, wwi, oral history, first world war, soldier settlement
- This interview was recorded in May 2016 as part of the Wounded Soldier exhibition. The Wounded Soldier ran in November 2016, exploring No. 11 Australian General Military Hospital (later Caulfield Hospital) and its impact on Glen Eira's community during and after the First World War. The audio file catalogued here is an edited excerpt from the larger interview, designed for use in the exhibition.
Deirdre Farrell trained as a nurse at Caulfield Hospital in the 1960's. Her father Les Campbell was a First World War veteran, and Deirdre grew up on a soldier settlement farm. This interview explores her childhood, her relationship with her father, her experience of repatriation medicine and her memories of Caulfield Hospital.
- Cameron Auty (Interviewer)
- This oral history is significant as the firsthand testimony of the child of a First World War veteran and for its recollections of Caulfield Hospital in the 1960's.
- 16 Aug 2017 at 11:48AM