This ledger was used by the Shire of Orbost in the late 1950's - 1970's.The item was donated to Orbost & District Historical society from P.R.O.V. as a Place of Deposit (POD) item for safe keeping by a local history group or museum. The shire covered an area of 9,347 square kilometres and existed from 1892 until 1994 when it became part of the East Gippsland Shire Council. Orbost was at first included in the Bairnsdale Shire from 1882 and was later part of the Tambo Shire. Because of travelling distances the Croajingalong Shire was created in 1892 (name changed to Orbost Shire 17.2.1893 with James Cameron as the first Shire President. In 1994 it amalgamated to become part of East Gippsland Shire Council. The Country Roads Board was the government authority for the construction and maintenance of main roads in Victoria between 1913 and 1983. It was succeeded by the Road Construction authority on 1 July 1983 and later merged with the Road Traffic Authority on July 1 1989 to form the Roads Corporation. James Cameron, an Orbost farming pioneer and Member of the Legislative Assembly, fathered the Country Roads Board
This item is a hand-written record of Orbost Shire Council accounts. It pre- dates computer records. The Shire of Orbost local council no longer exists having been absorbed by the East Gippsland Shire Council.
A black ledger with wooden covers. It contains hand-written records of transactions between Orbost Shire Council and the Country Roads Board.
Inscriptions & markings
bottom left corner - Orbost in black on a white East Gippsland Shire logo