Stories Organisations Projects Login

Bottle glass

From the Collection of Coal Creek Community Park & Museum 1 Silkstone Road Korumburra VIC

Description
Hexagonal clear amber glass bottle 1/4 full of liquid with a black bakelite screw top. Two white paper labels with printed red and hand written text. Bottle had three plain sides, two sides with 'x' stipple pattern either side of panel with embossed text.
Size
14.0 cm x 5.0 cm x 5.0 cm
Object Registration
9550
Keywords
poison, friendly societies, amber glass, bakelite, pharmacy
Historical information
TROVE : The Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954) Thursday 22 August 1918 p 6 Article
'Doctors and Lodges. Malvern Medical Association. The friendly societies of Malvern have formed a medical association in connection with the Malvern and District U.F.S. Dispensary. This has been registered as the Malvern and District U.F.S. Medical Association and Dispensary. Practically all the societies have joined it. The committee has appointed as medical officer Dr. J Weir, who is now carrying on the work of the institution. Another doctor is to be appointed shortly to assist him. The committee lately purchased a property in Valetta-street, formerly used by the Church of Christ. Structural alterations have been made, and the business will be transferred from High-street to the new building early in September'.
TROVE : The Prahran Telegraph (Vic. : 1889 - 1930) Friday 23 January 1925 p 6 Article
'Malvern Dispensary. ANNUAL REPORT AND BALANCE SHEET. The 16th report and balance sheet for the year ending December 31st last of the Malvern and District
U.F.S. Medical Association and Dispensary signed by the president (Mr.Chas. A. W. Smith) has been issued. It is the first annual report since the erection of the new hall and dispensary in Valetta street, and discloses a satisfactory state of affairs. Mr. Smith, who is now a past president of the Dispensary, has been commended on. all sides for the active interest He at all times took in the work of the dispensary, and he has every reason to feel pleased and gratified that the erection of the new building was
put in hand and completed during his tenure of office. The enterprise is a credit to the district, and shows that, those associated with friendly societies work in Malvern are imbued with a true progressive spirit. The dispensary is assured of a successful and useful future.........................................'.

When Made
c. 1918 - c. 1925.
Made By
Australian Glass Manufacturers (Bottle manufacturer), Malvern & District U.F.S., M.A. & Dispensary (Dispenser of bottle contents.)
Inscriptions & Markings
Side panel 'NOT TO BE TAKEN' and '2' near base. On base some indistinct embossed characters near one edge, and an 'AGM' monogram over '1072'. Paper label (top) 'POISON', ''NOT TO BE TAKEN' in red text. Handwritten under 'Apply on pad for 10 to 30 minutes'. Two red printed lines followed by red printed text 'MALVERN & DISTRICT U.F.S., M.A. & DISPENSARY. H.H. PHILLIPS, Chemist VALETTA STREET, MALVERN. Paper label (base) printed in white on a red panel, 'POISON'.
Last updated
22 May 2017 at 1:02PM