NSWTD Railway Marker OIl lamp, No.1 RA Oil burning lamps have always been an important part of Australian railway signalling systems and have been used for communication, safety and lighting. It is called a marker lamp and was hung on rolling stock (carriages and wagons) such as the guard’s van to indicate the rear of the train at night. They were also used to indicate the rear of steam locomotive tenders for identification and safety purposes. This type of lamp was introduced to the railways around 1860 and continued to be used for over one hundred years. Oil lamps were phased out on the railways during the late 1960s and early 1970s, when they were replaced by battery lamps. Railway lighting included not only stations but yards, engines, rolling stock, signals, signal-boxes and crossings. There were a number of different types of lamps used for a variety of railway purposes.
Historic - New South Wales Transport Department.- Railway Marker Oil Lamp
NSWTD Railway Marker lamp, No.1 RA made of metal and Glass Railway lamp, paraffin, metal/glass/fabric, used for attaching to railway rolling stock to mark the end of the train, made by the New South Wales Transport Department, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 1870 - 1970 This lamp comprises a hollow cube of metal. One lens at the front transmits light from an interior light source. Fuel was either signal oil or kerosene. The burner inside the lamp used either cotton or felt wicks to create the light source. The lamp has a carry handle for carrying by hand and a bracket with a slot on the back for hanging onto the hook of a locomotive or item of rolling stock. It is marked "NSWTD" which stands for New South Wales Transport Department.
Inscriptions & markings
NSWTD 1 RA