This book has been given by the Woodford Sunday School to Edith Cassady (note the misspelling of ‘Cassady’). Edith Cassady was the daughter of William and Elizabeth who lived at Boughton on the Merri River (near Cassady’s Bridge, Caramut Road today). This property was established about 1845. The donor of the book was William Wines, a member of a pioneering family in the Woodford district.
This book is of some interest as it belonged to Edith Cassady, a member of a pioneering family who lived at Boughton on the Merri River.
This is a hard cover book of 344 pages. The cover is red with black border decorations and black and gold lettering. There are several full page black and white illustrations scattered throughout the book which has 23 chapters of story. The cover and pages are much water-stained. The inscription is handwritten in black ink.
Inscriptions & markings
‘Woodford Sunday School Presented to Edith Cassidy (sic) by her well-wisher William Wines’