Historical information

Sport and available playing areas were important and every effort was made to provide this for the students when they moved into the new building in 1921. The terraces leading down from the gaol wall were terraced and clearing areas of rubble to provide playing areas for football and cricket was done by the students. In November 1922, a tennis court was opened in the Battery Paddock. It was designed by Syd Chambers and constructed by Les Waller, former students of the Ballarat School of Mines. A new tennis court was built and opened in 1934, in the same area.
This photograph is of the 1938 Tennis Team - Ballarat Junior Technical School. The boys standing are L to R: D. Eltringham and J. Burt. Seated on the left is W. Rowe and W. Edwards on the right. They are with Mr J. Hosie - staff member 1938-41.
Donald Eltringham was Dux of the school in 1938. He obtained a Diploma in Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering from the School of Mines Ballarat - 1944/47

Physical description

A formal group of four boys in tennis outfits with racquets and one adult male.

Inscriptions & markings

Photographer's stamp embossed on front with rubber stamp on back "Richards & Cc - photographers - Ballarat.
In pencil - "Jun Tech" and "1938"