Historical information

This is a coat hanger made in Germany for the Warrnambool firm of Cramond and Dickson. John Cramond and James Dickson opened a general store in Warrnambool in 1856, selling men’s and women’s clothing, drapery and manchester and it had its own tailoring and millinery business. This store became a prominent one in Warrnambool for over 100 years, closing in 1973. The business operated for most of this time at the corner of Timor and Liebig Streets.

Significance

This coat hanger is of great interest as a memento of the business of Cramond and Dickson, one of the most important businesses in Warrnambool’s history.

Physical description

This is a wooden coat hanger with a metal hook inserted in the centre of the hanger. The wood has been smoothed and stained to a light brown colour. The wood is curved and the ends are slightly tapered. The hook has a round stud at the bottom to prevent the hook from coming out of the hole. The hook is somewhat rusted. The printing on the hanger is in black.

Inscriptions & markings

‘Cramond & Dickson Tailors & Outfitters Warrnambool Made in Germany’.