Historical information

Copy by Yeoman and Co. of original c.1864 photograph.

The first Eltham State School building with school group. David Clarke (Head Teacher) and his sister, Catherine are standing in the centre of the group.

Built with stone walls and wooden shingles on the roof. This was the first State School building which was built in 1856 and replaced with a new building in 1875 after the stone walls collapsed outwards.

Published in Nillumbik Maii; Edition 20, 13 Sep

Harry Gilham notes:
- Believed to be the National School at Eltham on the Dalton Street site 1857-1874
- £220 cost; £110 National Board and £110 local patrons
- 40' (38'6") x 16' x 10' walls
- David Clark Head Teacher and Catherine Clark, Sewing Mistress
- Its building materials came from the western edge of the site where sandstone removed is still evident and children are protected from the site by the fences of 1994 of wire mesh and palings beside the residence
- School had 7' verandah added in 1861
- Clarks used half the building as a residence from 1857-1866 when enrollments required use of the whole building
- The Clarks moved to then Shoestring residence in Metery Road adjacent to the end of the school oval

Physical description

Sepia photograph copy of original (c.1864) photograph mounted on card

Inscriptions & markings

Yeoman and Co. Sydney Road Brunswick
Nillumbik Mail publication details; Edition 20, 13 Sep