Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Eltham District Historical Society Inc Eltham, Vic

Eltham District Historical Society

Contact Information

location
728 Main Rd Eltham Vic (map)
Contact

Opening Hours

By appointment only; contact edhsoffice@gmail.com

Location

728 Main Rd Eltham Vic

View on Google Maps

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

8176 items

close
Show All Items Items with Images (7584) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents (7)
View As Grid List

8176 items

Photograph - Rear view of Grand Garden Chinese Restaurant, cnr Main Road and Luck Street, and Pizza Pasta Restaurant, Commercial Place, Eltham, late 1970s

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Colour photograph

Photograph - Research

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Black and white photograph mounted in an album, the Reynolds/Prior Photograph Collection, this being one of 53 reproduced black and white images of early Eltham.

Significance

The Reynolds family were early settlers in Research. Reynolds Road is named after this family

Inscriptions & Markings

The Reynolds/Prior Photograph Collection, Presented to the Eltham District Historical Society, 14 June 2006 by Ross McDonald. A second copy was also presented to the Andrew Ross Museum, Kangaroo Ground

Photograph - Unveiling of the commemorative plaque on Walter Withers Rock at the corner of Bible and Arthur Streets, Eltham, 13 Oct 1990

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 1 strip

Inscriptions & Markings

Fuji 100 N

Photograph - Looking northeast from Eltham-Yarra Glen Road towards the Eltham War Memorial Tower, Kangaroo Ground, c.1998

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 8 strips

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak Gold 100-5

Photograph - Writing the War exhibition, Eltham Library, 30 August 2016

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Born Digital

Print - Maria Street, Little Eltham (from a pre 1900 photograph) - Main Street looking south from Bridge Street

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Print of ink sketch, reproduced as greeting card

Historical information

Greeting card from Neville Emerson and Staff with sketch commissioned by Neville Emerson Real Estate. Church is Methodist, built 1880. Eltham Hotel is the square building on the left hand side of the road at apex of Maria St, built 1852. Post Office is on the left side of road above the child's head. Note only telegraph lines on top of poles: phone still being "invented".

Photograph - Kangaroo Ground - St Andrews Road

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Five colour photographs of Kangaroo Ground/St Andrews Road, Kangaroo Ground/Panton Hill area

Folder - Richard Lane

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Folder of information on Richard Lane, Eltham, 1850s

Photograph - Heritage Excursion; Eltham Lower Park Walk and Talk, 1 July 2017

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Born Digital

Historical information

Newsletter No., 234, June 2017 Heritage Excursion - Saturday 1st July - Eltham Lower Park - Walk and Talk Eltham Lower Park has played an important part in the history of our area since the early days of European settlement when it was used by local residents as an informal racecourse. Prior to that its location at the junction of the Diamond Creek and the Yarra River made it an important meeting place for the Wurundjeri people. The park combines formal elements and sporting facilities with remnant bushland that is of environmental significance. It is home to sporting and horse riding clubs, popular play spaces and the Diamond Valley Miniature Railway, which attracts large numbers of visitors. The park will be the venue for our July excursion which will comprise a walk of about 3.5 km around the park and adjacent areas. Along the way we will discuss the history and natural history of the area. The path along the creek and the river provides a pleasant and scenic walk. This walk on Saturday 1st July is about 3.5 km in length and will take 2 to 2.5 hours. It will start at 2pm at the Main Road car park at the front of the park. (Melway ref 21 H 10).

Photograph - Thompson Crescent, Research

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Three colour photographs of Thompson Crescent, Research

Photograph - Semester 1 Tutor Party, Eltham Living and Learning Centre, 23 May 1988

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm black and white negative film, 6 strips

Inscriptions & Markings

Ilford FP4

Photograph - Installation of commemorative rock for Walter Withers at corner of Bible and Arthur Streets, Eltham, 17 May 1990

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 6 strips

Historical information

Roll of negatives of the installation of commemorative plaque and rock to Walter Withers installed in Walter Withers Reserve. Russell Yeoman advised (14 Jun 2017 society meeting) that the Shire of Eltham had been given a plaque to commemorate Walter Withers and that the rock was sourced from west of Melbourne with funds from a local government grant. The initial crane to lift the rock in place was too small and another crane was arranged. This also proved too small to lift it until a third and larger crane was arranged.

Inscriptions & Markings

Fuji 100

Book - The Diamond Valley Story /​ Dianne H. Edwards.

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Paperback; xiv, 194 p. : ill., ports. ; 29 cm.

Historical information

Review in Heidelberg Historian (Newsletter of Heidelberg Historical Society) No 80 October 1980 "This substantial and significant history is one of the really essential books which all members interested in the history of Heidelberg and district should have, for, as indicated in this work, the Diamond Valley and Heidelberg were linked together in a municipal, economic and geographical sense throughout their history and still have strong links. This work of 191 pages, with numerous illustrations, covers the entire period of the history of the Shire area, from Greensborough to Hurstbridge (to 1979). Starting with a geographical setting, Miss Edwards traces the early development of the historic district from Hume & Hovell to the first explorers and settlers with some discussion on the meeting of John Batman with the aborigines here. Details of the early residents follow with numerous portraits, including the Beales of St Helena and the Ryries of Yering. In part 2, the account continues of the later settlers and squatters like Henry Foley and C. S. Haley. The gold discoveries on the Plenty and at the Diamond Creek and Queenstown area then follow with the development of the townships of Hurstbridge and Diamond Creek, with details of the mines and miners of the last century until its decline in the 1870's." "During the writing of the book, 40 tapes were made by the authoress Dianne Edwards of local residents reminiscences".. Diamond Valley News February 6, 1979

Significance

This book was published by the former Shire of Diamond Valley in 1979. It remains one of the key local history titles particularly for the Diamond Creek and Greensborough areas.

Inscriptions & Markings

ISBN 0959542205

Photograph - Demolition of Eltham Shire Offices, 895 Main Road, Eltham, August 1996

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 10 strips

Historical information

Print copies originally located in a small pink (with decorative flowers) album, suede spine, 18 x 18 x 6 cm, 50 page inserts, 100 photo capacity. The Shire Offices opened in 1965 and were extended in 1971. The final Eltham Shire Council meeting was held in December 1994 before the forced amalgamations of municipal councils by the Kennett Government. The State-Government-appointed Commissioners (1994-1996) took the decision in July 1996 to demolish the Eltham Shire Offices. The demolition works started within 24 hours of the decision being made.

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak Gold 100-5

Newsletter - Newsletter, No. 216 May 2014

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

A4 photocopied newsletter distributed to members

Historical information

Contents: • Welcome Home Medal by Jim Allen and Jim Connor • Next Meeting • Heritage Excursion – The 1901 Eltham Railway Walk • May Meeting – Maps, Manuscripts and Menus; telling stories via heritage collections (Liz Pidgeon) • May Excursion – The 1901 Eltham Railway Walk • Subscriptions • Vera Addison • Vale John Cohen OAM 19/9/1919-18/3/2014 • Mayoral Chain of Office • Eltham Library – 20th Anniversary • St Margaret’s Church Eltham • Office Bearers 2014-2015 • And Also • Contacts for the Eltham District Historical Society

Significance

The Shire of Eltham Historical Society was formed in October 1967. The first newsletter of the Society was issued May 1978 and has been published continuously ever since on a bi-monthly basis. With the cessation of the Shire of Eltham in late 1994, the Society's name was revised to Eltham District Historical Society and this name first appeared with issue No. 103, July 1995. The collection of the Society's newsletters provides a valuable resource on the history of the Society's activities, office bearers and committee members, guest speakers and subjects of historical interest pertinent to the former Shire of Eltham and the Eltham District.

Photograph - Peter and Carla Vermey in family area, studs still exposed.

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Digital file

Historical information

14 Stokes Place (Lot 83) was the home of Peter and Carla Vermey. The land was purchased in May 1979 and construction commenced September 1979. The home was built by Peter and Carla Vermey after the developer, Macquarie Builders went bankrupt. Sold October 2017 by Morrison and Kleeman Real Estate. Stokes Place was part of the Stokes Orchard Estate which was developed from the break-up of the the orchard owned by Frank Stokes who lived on the northeast corner of Nyora Road and Eucalyptus Road. His daughter Beryl advised that the Shire had levied a rate assessment on individual parcels of land within the orchard which became unaffordable resulting in its sub-division and sell off. The Stokes Orchard Estate was developed by Macquarie Builders in two stages starting with stage 1 in 1976. Stokes Place was part of Stage 2 in 1979. The Estate was bounded between Nyora Road, Eucalyptus Road, Diosma Road and Stokes Place. The original orchard only just reached the left most portions of Stokes Place and did not go fully up to Diosma, rather to just beyond the extant of Stokes Place. Stokes Place was known within the family as "The Oats" as that is where they grew oats. Frank Stokes moved to Eltham c.1945 after visiting Harold Bird to view his orchard, located diagonally opposite Stokes Orchard from the intersection of Eucalyptus Road, Pitt Street and Nyora Road. It was on Harold Bird's recommendation that Frank purchased the land.

Significance

The Stokes Orchard Estate collection is typical of housing developments of the late 1970s and 1980s. It was one of the earliest estates in Eltham following the nearby Woodridge Estate development.

Inscriptions & Markings

Scanned by EDHS from 49 x 35mm colour transparencies provided on loan

Photograph - X'Trapolis Train approaching the Wilson Road crossing at Wattle Glen during the Hurstbridge Wattle Festival, 27 August 2017

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Digital copy of colour photograph

Photograph - Hurstbridge. Original wooden bridge, 1885.

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Digital image

Significance

This photo forms part of a collection of photographs gathered by the Shire of Eltham for their centenary project book,"Pioneers and Painters: 100 years of the Shire of Eltham" by Alan Marshall (1971). The collection of over 500 images is held in partnership between Eltham District Historical Society and Yarra Plenty Regional Library (Eltham Library) and is now formally known as the 'The Shire of Eltham Pioneers Photograph Collection.' It is significant in being the first community sourced collection representing the places and people of the Shire's first one hundred years.

Photograph - Yarra Glen Railway Station, 1991

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Digital copy of colour photograph

Photograph - Aqueduct path near Allendale Road, Eltham, 1991

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Colour photograph

Photograph - Eltham Living and Learning Centre activities

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Black and white photograph (from proof sheet of 35mm contact prints)

Photograph - Eltham Scenes

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Black and white/sepia photograph of four individual photographs; 'Forming the Footpath, Eltham' between Bridge and York streets, 'Research' Research Hotel destroyed by fire c.1930 (image reversed), Hurstbridge (Ref 1000) and Corner of Main Road and Dudley Street (similar to 185)

Photograph - Flooding of Diamond Creek at Lower Eltham, Feb 2005

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Three colour photographs of the Diamond Creek floodwater at Main Road and Diamond Creek Trail, looking west across the Diamond Creek near the Leisure Centre and looking west to Brougham Street Bridge, Feb 2005

Photograph - Road surface conditions around Eltham, 7 Aug 1996

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 7 strips

Historical information

Shows sections of Franklin, John and Napoleon streets were still unmade as of late 1996 and the condition of those roads with potholes at the intersections with Bible Street.

Significance

Reflects on the changing nature of the local street-scape and houses

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak Gold 100-5

Photograph - Believed to be Eltham North, c.1989

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 6 strips

Significance

Streetscape evolution

Inscriptions & Markings

Fuji 200A

Photograph - Bridge across Diamond Creek, Wattletree Road, Eltham North, 1991

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Colour photograph

Historical information

From a collection of 35 photos taken by Doug Orford at 35 specific locations along the exact boundary of the then Shire of Eltham.

Photograph - Heritage Excursion; Laughing Waters, Laughing Waters Road, Eltham, 7 Sep 2013

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Born Digital

Historical information

LAUGHING WATERS WALK This excursion was a follow up to the Laughing Waters Story told to us by Jane Woollard at our Annual General Meeting in March 2013. It involved a walk commencing from the corner of Laughing Waters and Overbank Roads along Laughing Waters Road to its eastern end and returning partly over the same route - a total distance of about 2.5km. On the way we visited the two artist in residence properties to view the houses on them that are associated with Alistair Knox, Gordon Ford and others in the local mud brick and artistic community. An unexpected afternoon tea was offered to us by the artists in residence and we had a brief opportunity to view inside one of the houses.

Photograph - Looking down Parsons Road to Main Road, Eltham, c.1987

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 7 strips

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak GA 100 5095

Folder - Mudbrick home, Montmorency

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

1 document A3

Historical information

Morrison Kleeman Real Estate sales information material

Photograph - Serendipity Group 1987, Eltham Living and Learning Centre

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Colour photograph

Photograph - Main Road, Research, February 1990

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 4 strips

Inscriptions & Markings

Fuji 100

Photograph - Jock Read on Lofty at Central Park, Eltham Festival, 11 November 1989

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 6 strips

Historical information

Society member, Jock Read riding his horse, Lofty

Inscriptions & Markings

Fuji 100 N

Photograph - Frosty morning, 66 Susan Street, Eltham, c.1965

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Digital file only; created from original colour positive slide transparency

Historical information

Now the site of the Eltham Skate Park; Susan Street north of Bridge Street has since been renamed as an extension of Brisbane Street.

Photograph - Eltham Festival, Main Road, Eltham

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Three colour photographs; two looking diagonally across Main Road, Eltham towards Lyon Bros Ford dealership with the Wizard of Oz float and Institute of Linguistics float. The third photo looking further down Main Road showing the Wizard of Oz float approaching the viewing point.

Photograph - Hohne's Hill, Eltham Lower Park

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Roll of 35mm colour negative film, 4 strips

Inscriptions & Markings

Kodak Safety 5035

Photograph - Early settlers cottage, Ely Street, Eltham; May 1979

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

16 black and white photographs

Historical information

Falkiner Cottage, also known as Maynard's Cottage. Falkiner was the original owner and Maynard the last owner. Photographer: Alan Baker Refers File 550258 and 1903 12 photos 7 off 3.5x5 inches 5 off 8x10 inches. Located at 8 Ely Street, Eltham. This site was classified by the National Trust but there is no citation available. The Cottage has since been demolished.

Photograph - Kangaroos by side of road, Eltham North, 18 June 2016

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Digital copy of colour photograph

Photograph - 27 Luck Street, Eltham, 11 February 2018

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Born digital image

Newsclipping - 13 Luck Street, Eltham, September 2000

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Historical information

House built by George and Alma Le Brocq. George was the second Secretary of the Diamond Valley Football League.

Book - Celebrating Nillumbik Women 2008-2013

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Historical information

This book was conceived by the Nillumbik Women's Network as a way of writing women into local history. This volume includes profiles of 23 women, 2013 Nominees in addition to those included since the project was launched in 2008. The 2013 nominations are: Roslyn Addison, Sue Aldred, Lucy Anderson, Sue Arnold, Mary Avola, Anna Foletta, Morag Fraser, Danielle Green MP, Colleen Hackett, Pam Hayes, Barbara Joyce, Carol Leeson, Sandra and Bruce Poloni, Many Press, Carolyn Royse, Hannah Sky, Lorna Smith, Lynlee Tozer, Kilanthi Vassiliadis, Kerry Wailes, Gale Weiss, Irma Winton and Alexis Wright.

Significance

This book is a significant in the recording of the contribution of local women to the development of the Shire of Nillumbik, especially for the time frame 2008 -- 2013. Historically women's stories generally have not been told at all, let alone their contributions acknowledged. This book profiles and documents women's stories that otherwise may not have been told.

Photograph - Jingalong, 110 Ryans Road, Eltham, 1988

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Colour photograph

Historical information

Originally contained in a 'magnetic' photo album of scenic photos of Yan Yean and Warrandyte believed to be donated by Mrs Eric Stephenson, Jingalong, 110 Ryans Road, Eltham, Vic. 3095; relocated to archival safe storage.

Photograph - Bitumen sprayer for sealing Eltham-Kangaroo Ground Road, 1954

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Digital copy of colour photograph

Photograph - Believed to be an Alistair Knox designed mudbrick home, 91 Fernside Avenue, Briar Hill; July 2002

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Four colour photographs

Newsletter - Newsletter, No. 170 September 2006

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

A4 photocopied newsletter distributed to members

Historical information

Contents: • Next meeting, Speaker Panel: 150 Years of Education in Eltham • September Meeting • Eltham Primary School Celebrations • Lois Loftus-Hills 1927-2006 • Library News • Andrew Ross Museum by Diana Bassett-Smith • Ivy’s Memories – continuing Ivy Reynold’s story as edited by Mick Woiwod • Plenty of Other News

Significance

The Shire of Eltham Historical Society was formed in October 1967. The first newsletter of the Society was issued May 1978 and has been published continuously ever since on a bi-monthly basis. With the cessation of the Shire of Eltham in late 1994, the Society's name was revised to Eltham District Historical Society and this name first appeared with issue No. 103, July 1995. The collection of the Society's newsletters provides a valuable resource on the history of the Society's activities, office bearers and committee members, guest speakers and subjects of historical interest pertinent to the former Shire of Eltham and the Eltham District.

Photograph - 77 Dalton Street, Eltham, c.2002

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Colour photographic print

Historical information

Owner 1930s: Mrs M. Davis. Bought by Joe Mason in 1940s; demolished 2002 and five units built 2004

Significance

The Margaret Ball (Pre 1960s Houses) Collection was a personal project initiated to mark the year 2000 and arose as a result of the disappearance of many pre-1960s parts of Eltham due to development. Approximately 200 pre-1960s style houses that were left in Eltham between Main Road and east to Bible Street, between Cecil Street to the north and south to Dalton Street were photographed in late 1999. Not all of the houses could be photographed; some because the garden or trees blocked the view of the house, others because of rubbish or cars were in the way, some because people were working on the house or in the gardens at the time.

Photograph - Visit by The Honourable Sir James Augustine Gobbo AC CVO QC, Governor of Victoria, to the Andrew Ross Museum, Kangaroo Ground, 2 March 2000

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Colour photograph

Historical information

Bruce Nixon (in black) patron of the Andrew Ross Museum

Photograph - Bridge across Yarra River, Kangaroo Ground - Warrandyte Road, Warrandyte, 1991

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Colour photograph

Historical information

From a collection of 35 photos taken by Doug Orford at 35 specific locations along the exact boundary of the then Shire of Eltham.

Photograph - Early settlers cottage, Ely Street, Eltham; May 1979

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

16 black and white photographs

Historical information

Falkiner Cottage, also known as Maynard's Cottage. Falkiner was the original owner and Maynard the last owner. Photographer: Alan Baker Refers File 550258 and 1903 12 photos 7 off 3.5x5 inches 5 off 8x10 inches. Located at 8 Ely Street, Eltham. This site was classified by the National Trust but there is no citation available. The Cottage has since been demolished.

Photograph - Main Road-Fitzsimons Lane Roundabout, c. Oct 1987

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Colour photograph

Historical information

Fitzsimons Lane was originally known as the Eltham-Templestowe Road north of the Yarra and Fitzsimons Lane south of the Yarra River. Date based on other similar display panels visible in images of the Shire of Eltham display at the Eltham Community Festival, 7 November 1987

Photograph - Hemerocallis Cranberry Baby Dwarf Variety Evergreen Foliage, Rivers Garden Centre, 28 Kurrak Road, Yarrambat, 11 April 2017

Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham

Digital copy of colour photograph