Eltham District Historical Society Inc, Eltham
Black and white photographic reprint with names printed on front
The Pony Club was a dream of Diana Bassett-Smith, which came true, based on the British Horse Society Pony Club formed in 1929; a worldwide organisation. A meeting was called at ‘Lavender Park’, the home of Mrs Mary Grant and her brother George ‘Mel’ Balfour. Invited to the meeting were Baye Skues, Eric Rundle, Ben Taylor, the Barringtons, Smiths, Lou Lewis and Gwen Cascaden. They all supported Diana Bassett-Smith for forming a Pony Club. The first formal meeting was held at ‘Landscape’, which was the home of the Barringtons and the former home of artist Percy Leason. Negotiations with the Lands Department resulted in the club being granted use of the grounds in Eltham Lower Park for a peppercorn rent. Eltham was the 4th Pony Club in Victoria; the other three being Frankston, Templestowe and Western District. Together they formed the Pony Club Association of Victoria at Diana Bassett-Smith’s instigation.
This image shows club members attending their first rally held in the summer school holidays, December 1953
L-R: Andrew Donald, Alex Smith, Jenny McMahon, David Bell, Fay Hardess, Chrissy Mclean, Jane Kimber, Barry Hardess, Sue Heseltine, Sue Donald, Helen Rank, Elizabeth Thomas, Margot Donald, Christine Cuscaden, Diana Lewis, Erif Reseigh, Stephen Harris, Diana Bassett-Smith