Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Photograph - Pedestrian suspension bridge over the Yarra River at Lower Plenty

From the Collection of Eltham District Historical Society Inc 728 Main Rd Eltham Victoria

Description
Colour photograph of footbridge over Yarra River, part of the Ruffey Trail just off the Main Yarra Trail near the former seminary (now Odyssey House) Lower Plenty
Object Registration
00332
Keywords
bridges, yarra river, lower plenty, seminary, blessed sacrament fathers, odyssey house, bonds road
Historical information
Odyssey House drug rehabilitation centre in Bonds Road, Lower Plenty is a distinctive landmark, especially when viewed from across the Yarra at Templestowe. It was built in the 1950’s as a seminary for the Blessed Sacrament Fathers. Because of the poor and circuitous road access, a suspension footbridge was built across the river. As well as providing easy access for the priests residents of Templestowe could attend services at the seminary. The bridge is now part of the Yarra Trails system.
Last updated
28 Jul 2019 at 3:15PM