Book - The Psalms & Church Hymnary
From the Collection of Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. 2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria
- This is a leather-covered book of 216 pages, plus a Supplement of 12 pages. The text is printed in two columns to a page. The front cover has gold lettering printed into the leather. The cover is a little crumpled and some of the pages are dog-eared.
- W 10 cm. H 14.5 cm. D 1.7 cm.
- swinton family, warrnambool, history of warrnambool, presbyterian church, warrnambool
- This book belonged to Agnes Swinton (b.1900). She was the daughter of John and Charlotte Swinton of Warrnambool. Her father, John, was the fifth son of William and Ann Swinton who came to Warrnambool in 1854 and established a store in Timor Street. The Swinton family still operates a commercial business in the same street and the name ‘Swinton’ is well-known in Warrnambool. Agnes’ sister, Doris had a distinguished military career in World War Two and was a long-term Matron of the Warrnambool Hospital.
- This book is of considerable interest as it belonged to a member of the Swinton family which has been connected with Warrnambool’s history since the 1850s.
- ‘August 1922’
‘Agnes S. Swinton,
‘The Brae’, 4 Merri Crescent, Warrnambool’
- 30 May 2017 at 8:32PM