Historical information

In 1940 Field Headquarters for the Kiewa Scheme were established at Bogong with office, workshop facilities and accommodation for workmen, staff and some families constructed. (There had been a 'tent camp' on this site in 1939 but was destroyed by bushfires) Construction of accommodation continued until 1947. A total of 40 houses plus a hostel for single staff, post office, police station, medical centre and primary school all with water and sewerage and electricity supply. The staff hostel was known as Kiewa House and is now occupied by the Education Department. Lake Guy was named after Mr. L.T. Guy who was the Resident Engineer in charge of construction work and associated activities on the Kiewa area. He held this position from 1939 to November 1946 when he was transferred to Head Office.


The Bogong Township was developed firstly as an accommodation centre (base camp) for construction workers employed under the Kiewa Hydroelectric Scheme. Due to the influx of European workers into the Township the beautification of the immediate surrounds (gardens etc.) had a distinct European flavour. This environment has been very beneficial for tourism in later years. At the completion of the scheme, in the 1960's, the village was opened to public/tourism use. Strict environmental control has not allowed for any extensive redevelopment in tourist accommodation and basically restricted it to the accommodation initially built for the construction workers. Activities such a bike riding, snow skiing, restricted horse riding and bush walking on the Alpine plains and mountains are now a viable part of the Kiewa Valley Tourist Industry. The lake is one of the many water storage reservoirs used to supply the power stations their main power to run the huge turbines generating the final product, electricity

Physical description

Black and white photo of Bogong Village. September 1950

Inscriptions & markings

Handwritten on the back - 1st Bogong Camp. SEC Kiewa Scheme Sept 1950