This booklet was given to subscribers to the Warrnambool Standard newspaper as an almanac for the year 1910. These Standard Almanacs were published annually from 1875 to 1930. They contain much local information on Warrnambool and district about the businesses, government officials, large landowners, harbour management, banks, churches, schools, societies and organizations etc. The Warrnambool Standard newspaper was established in 1872 and continues to this day.
This booklet is of high significance as it contains much valuable information about Warrnambool and district for the year 1910. It is a very important research tool for those studying and writing the history of Warrnambool and district. The copy is signed ‘G. Barber’ and was probably owned by George Barber, the son of George Barber, the well-known solicitor who opened a legal practice in Warrnambool in 1855. He died in 1879 and it appears that a member or members of his family went to live in the Maryborough area as this copy came into the collection of the Warrnambool and District Historical Society via the Midlands Historical Society.
This is a soft cover booklet of 110 pages plus several pages of advertisements at the front and the back of the booklet. The cover has a white background with red and white decorations – a shield, scrolls, sun etc. The back cover has an advertisement for the Warrnambool business of Bruce and McClure and is partly torn away. The booklet shows some wear and staining. The inscription on the cover is handwritten in pencil.
Inscriptions & markings