King's Banner - 1st Battalion, 11th Australian Infantry Regiment (Perth Regiment)
From the Collection of Australian Army Museum of Western Australia Artillery Barracks Burt Street Fremantle, Western Australia 6160 Western Australia
- Plain Union flag with red and gold fringe. Red and gold chord and tassels.
Pike with Royal Crest pike head. A silver plate attached to lower portion of pike inscribed as follows:
"Presented by His Most Gracious Majesty The King Emperor to 1st Battalion, 11th Australian Infantry Regiment Perth Regiment formerly 1st and 2nd Battalions Western Australian Infantry in recognition of services rendered to the Empire in South Africa 1899-1902".
- In 1909 His Majesty King Edward VII directed that honorary banners be presented to the Australian Infantry Regiments in commemoration of the services of their members who had volunteered for the South African War 1899-1902. (Promulgated under Military Order 132/1909). These would be similar to those presented to Australian Light Horse Regiments, Royal Australian Artillery and Australian Army Medical Corps in 1904.
This Banner was presented to 1st Battalion, 11th Australian Infantry Regiment (Perth Regiment) by HE the Governor of WA Sir Gerald Strickland, KCMG, at a parade held on the Esplanade, Perth, 18 February 1911. Consecrated by the Right Reverend COL. Riley, DD, VD, Senior Chaplain of the Australian Commonwealth Military Forces.
This banner was subsequently inherited by successor units to the 11th Australian Infantry Regiment (Perth Regiment), including 88th (Perth) Infantry, 11th Battalion (The Perth Regiment) and 11th/16th Battalion. The banner was handed over to the Perth City Council at a special parade of the 11th/16th Battalion held in Forrest Place on 7 June 1930, and was laid up in the Council Chambers in Murray Street.
Together with the other historic colours handed over at the time (see Reference items 1 and 3), this banner later went into storage when Council moved premises in the early 1960's. Perth City Council had some restoration work carried out on these colours in 1975 and later had them on display in their display room at Council House, St Georges Terrace. They were subsequently placed in storage again. Following negotiations by the Army Museum of WA Perth City Council passed on these Colours to the Museum in November 1993.
- 20 Apr 2017 at 4:05AM