D.V.D. - Laurie Popeye Light
From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- A D.V.D. of pictures and a video on Laurie Light, a sleeper cutter from 1950-1992. The disc is in a clear plastic case with a black insert. It is a copy of the original. this copy was probably made in 2016.
- H-123mm W-140mm
- sleeper-cutting light-laurie timber-industry-orbost
- The video shows Laurie LIght, a sleeper cutter for 42 years, using a swing saw. There is also a video of a lyre bird display.
Laurie Light was born on May 12, 1938 to parents, Arthur Vernon Light and Nellie Hall. He started work with his father, a sleeper cutter for the Victorian Railways, at the age of 16. (More info. from newsletter LAURIE LIGHT, SLEEPER CUTTER - Heather Terrell)
- This item is associated with the history of the Orbost-Bairnsdale railway line and therefore reflects the role that the rail line played in the social and economic history of Orbost. It is also associated with the timber industry of East Gippsland.
- On disc in red marker : "LAURIE LIGHT SLEEPER CUTTING with swing saw and lyre bird display"
- 8 May 2017 at 3:46PM