Historical information

2228.1 belonged to Ruth Legge. 2228.2 belonged to Mary Gilbert.
This book was produced as a souvenir history of Orbost Primary School.
The Orbost State School opened on 19th of March 1886 .The school had first operated tem­porarily in a leased building, and on a half-time basis with SS2745 Jarrahmond. The first head teacher was HT Campbell Mackay. However he remained in charge only until 12th of May 1886. The second HT, John Rowe, served until 1908. On 30th of June 1887, a portable room was provided; it being brought to the area by schooner. The school then had accommodation for 30 pupils; the teacher's welfare was considered because quarters of two rooms were attached. As the population increased so did the needs of the school. This was reflected in the provision of a larger classroom in 1898. During 1910-11 the first approaches were made to the Department for the establishment of a HES in Orbost and this became a reality in 1912. Orbost HES supplied post-primary education in the district until a high school was built in 1948.
When fire destroyed the school in 1941 local halls were used as classrooms until a new school was built. Work was quite rapid and a new brick structure was opened by the Hon. A. E. Lind, MLA, on 13th of February 1942. The head teacher then was Leslie Collins. Orbost continued to develop and the new school was soon over­taxed. This resulted in the erection of two Bristol classrooms in 1947. By 1950, when the school population had reached 500 pupils the opening of the new school at Orbost North was welcomed by all concerned. In 1963 the Department purchased land diagonally opposite the school and developed it as a playing area. In 1965 two LTCs were opened in November, and in October 1968 the Brodribb School building was moved to SS2744 Orbost for use as a general purpose room.


This book is a useful research resource.

Physical description

Two copies of a yellow paper book book. On the front cover is a sketch of some trees beneath the title which is in green print ( these are the school colours) . This is a souvenir record of the history of Orbost Primary School.

Inscriptions & markings

2228.1 has autographs on the back fly.