This bottle came from the pharmacy business of R.F.Kennedy and Co of Warrnambool. Richard Frank Kennedy (1826-1903) was born in England and came to Warrnambool in 1883 where he quickly established a large pharmacy business in Timor Street. In 1891 he built a mew shop which was described as one of the most elegant and best-stocked chemist’s shops in Victoria. He was a retail, wholesale and manufacturing chemist with large workshops at the back of his building. Kennedy was active in community affairs in Warrnambool and a foundation member of the Warrnambool Bowls Club as the first Vice-President and an early President. The business continued after Kennedy’s death, trading as ‘R.F. Kennedy and Co.’
Richard Frank Kennedy was one of the most significant businessmen in Warrnambool in the late 19th century. The products of his chemist shop and factory were distributed all over Victoria and beyond. The bottle, although damaged, is an example of the smaller-size bottle in use at the shop he founded.
This is a small, clear glass bottle used at the pharmacy of R.F. Kennedy and Co, of Warrnambool. It has a rectangular body with curved edges, a circular-shaped neck and a moulded circular opening. There is no stopper. The top rim is chipped and the bottom of the bottle near the base is cracked with parts missing. The name of the pharmacy is embossed on the side of the bottle.
Inscriptions & markings
‘R.F. Kennedy & Co. Chemists Warrnambool’