This bottle was used in the pharmacy of R. F. Kennedy of Warrnambool. It has on it the well-known Kennedy symbol of a lighthouse on a rocky cliff on a coastline with ships in the distance. Richard Frank Kennedy (1826-1903) was born in England and came to Warrnambool in the early 1880s. He established a large pharmacy in Timor Street with a retail, wholesale and manufacturing business. In 1891 he erected a new building which was described as one of the most elegant and best-stocked chemist shops in Victoria. Kennedy was active in Warrnambool community affairs and was a foundation member of the Warrnambool Bowls Club, being its first Vice-President and an early President. The business continued after Kennedy’s death, trading as ‘R.F.Kennedy and Co.’
Richard Frank Kennedy was one of the most significant businessmen in Warrnambool in the late 19th century. The products of his chemist shop and factory were distributed all over Victoria and beyond. This item is a very good example of a Kennedy bottle.
This is a small clear glass bottle used in the pharmacy of R.F. Kennedy. It has a rectangular-shaped body with rounded edges, a circular-shaped neck and a circular top moulded over the neck. There is no stopper. The name and logo of the chemist are embossed on the side of the bottle and the name of the maker is on the base.
Inscriptions & markings
‘R.F. Kennedy Chemist Warrnambool’ ‘W.T & Co. U.S.A.’ ‘Pat. Dec. 11 1894’